Re: Cuneiform question.

  • Jim Wagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007

      http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/cuneiform.languages/dictionary/index_en.php

      > > > This is quite correct.

      BMC4000,

      > > > I do not understand what you are talking about. There is no "second
      > > > part of the determinative". The determinative is a single sign,
      MU� EN,
      > > > which represent the Sumerian word for 'bird'. The sign is also used
      > > > logographically for the Akkadian word iṣṣūru 'bird'.
      > > >
      > > Sorry, your transcriptions do not come through.
      >

      > Neither did yours in my mail reader. That's why I went to the ANE-2
      > list's home page to reply to the message. It lets me both read and
      write
      > unicode. If you want to read the transcriptions, go to the ane message
      > page and open the message. Make sure the character encoding in your
      > browser is set to UTF-8. Learn to be the master of your software,
      not its
      > slave.

      At the risk of digging myself in deeper, one of the reasons I switched
      to Ubuntu Linux was that it handles Unicode natively. On the other
      hand, I guess that what I put in e-mail software does not necessarily
      make it through to the other end. Thanks for the tip about going to
      the ANE page.

      The Sumerian sign I was trying to write was ð'„·.

      > Thanks. I suspect I learned much of this stuff back in my Cuneiform
      > > course near to forty years ago, but not having dealt with it until
      just
      > > recently, it's slipped out of my mind.
      >
      > Yes, if you don't take esoterica like this out once in a while and
      dust it
      > off it tends to crumble when you try to pick it up.

      Yes. I'd spent the last fifteen years working with Syriac,
      translating some of the historical chronicles.

      Moved back to cuneiform just recently when I saw the abundance of
      material available on the net.

      I've been using the _Annals of the Assyrian Kings_, where I can check
      my transcriptions. I'm trying to be careful about what I learn there,
      since I know that they were done over a hundred years ago, and such
      things as how the determinatives were handled have changed radically.

      I'm on a very limited budget, but I hope to be able to afford Borgers
      Babylonische-Assyrische Lesestucke_ at the end of the summer. I very
      foolishly lent my previous copy to a friend, while I was working at
      Syriac and didn't think I'd be using it again.

      This is a long and roundabout way of saying that I depend on
      Interlibrary Loan and free items on the Internet for my material. This
      means that while I appreciate any suggestions you might give me
      regarding source material and textbooks, I hope you won't be offended
      because I don't purchase them.

      I appreciate your help.

      Jim Wagner