Re: [ANE-2] Federal resources (was: Re: Expedition goes open access)

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
      Expedition online had some library blog listed; was not sure what I could do with the resource at is it seemed to be in Greece. The Smithsonian national anthropological archives had some ANE resources, yet it seemed more interested in North American Indian resources. The LOC had numerous books, journals, and series including IEJ, BASOR, etc. A search of WorldCat for subjects, titles, and authors revealed that this library was the single greatest resource for my studies within hundreds of miles of here. There were 19th century Egyptian Exploration Society folios with sketches and paintings of artwork found in Egyptian tombs. There was a modern report about Roman pottery from Galilee and how it was found that numerous common pottery types uncovered from ruins in a large region originated from a pottery manufacturing center. A rare English translation of an Italian work describing the archaeology of Nazareth is in the LOC collection. I found a book by Hormudz Rassam describing the cuneiform archives of Nineveh as he found them after Layard returned to England, in a smaller local library, not in the world's largest library, yet one would not chose to ignore the largest library in the world as a source of information about any subject.

      Once they listed 39 million books, journals, and serials.

      David Q. Hall

      Charles Ellwood Jones <cejo@...> wrote:
      I'm not sure what the connection between Expedition online and the
      Library of Congress is, but yes it is a great library, though you're
      far more likely to find archaeological records in the National
      Archives than in the LOC. Some archaeoliogists, such as Jack Davis,
      have been finding real treasures there.

      -Chuck Jones-

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, David Hall <dqhall59@...> wrote:
      > One might someday like to use the Library of Congress, Washington
      D.C.. It is the largest library in the world, with 134,517,714 items
      in the collections. Over 20 million books were catalogued and more
      than 59 million manuscripts. Millions of maps, photos, videos, audio
      recordings, microfilms, and copyright records were kept.
      > Those doing specialized research might find extant records of
      some of the early archaeological expeditions. The library is non-
      circulating. In order to use the library one is required to register
      to get an ID to use the premises, and needs a reader ID card to
      request books from the stacks to be delivered to a numbered desk.
      > http://www.loc.gov/index.html
      > David Q. Hall
      > dqhall59@...
      > cejo@... wrote:
      > You'll find a link to it (and some other things) at the
      Blegen Library blog