ANE: EA tablets in Berlin

  • Cynthia Edenburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
      Are the EA tablets in the Berlin collection on display?
      Which museum houses them? The Egyptological museum or the Pergamon
      (Vorderasiatisches Museen)?
      Thanks,
      Cynthia Edenburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
        Dear Cynthia,

        Found this reference

        http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/maineng.html

        Niels Peter Lemche

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
          Which shouldn't have been too difficult since there is a link to the site
          in the Links area of the ANE-2 home page:

          A wide range of links to useful sites and gateways have been provided for
          ANE-2 members at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links> and we
          encourage list members to make use of them.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
            Dear Bob,

            Then there is the question of the Cairo letters and BM letters. I tried to find something referring to photographs, similar to the Berlin link, but haven't so far.

            After all, there is a decent old autography by Schröder of the Berlin items, but the old one of the Cairo letters is awfull, and the printed version of the BM also a rather hopeless affair.

            Niels Peter Lemche

            Which shouldn't have been too difficult since there is a link to the site
            in the Links area of the ANE-2 home page:

            A wide range of links to useful sites and gateways have been provided for
            ANE-2 members at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links> and we
            encourage list members to make use of them.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...

            On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

            > Dear Cynthia,
            >
            > Found this reference
            >
            > http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/maineng.html
            >
            > Niels Peter Lemche

          • Robert M Whiting
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
              On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

              > Then there is the question of the Cairo letters and BM letters. I tried
              > to find something referring to photographs, similar to the Berlin link,
              > but haven't so far.

              Yes, other than the VAM texts coverage is very sparse (and you'll note
              that the VAM texts weren't put on the web by the museum itself). The BM
              is working on putting all of its tablets online and even Damascus has
              committed to doing the same thing, but in the meantime coverage is
              haphazard at best. You can find the occasional photograph of an Amarna
              tablet from here or there on the web, but these usually treat the tablet
              as an art object and are not particulaly useful to philologists interested
              in reading the text and there is no other systematic presentation such as
              is found with the Berlin tablets.

              > After all, there is a decent old autography by Schröder of the Berlin
              > items, but the old one of the Cairo letters is awfull, and the printed
              > version of the BM also a rather hopeless affair.

              Yes, again. And even the hand copies aren't generally available on the
              web. One has to rely on collated transliterations such as those made
              available by Shlomo Izre'el (see the ANE-2 --> Links --> Cuneiform Sources
              --> Amarna page).

              There is one book available on the web that might be of interest to
              current discussions: Knudtzon, J.A., Die Zwei Arzawa-Briefe : Die
              Altesten Urkunden Indogermanischer Sprache (Leipzig: J.C.
              Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung, 1902)
              <http://ebind.library.vanderbilt.edu/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/ETANA/Arzawa>
              (no copies of the texts, though, but the second Arzawa letter is in
              Berlin).

              Bob Whiting
              whiting@...
            • Yuval Goren
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12, 2007
                The EA tablets are in the Vorderasiatisches Museen in Berlin. The curator in
                charge is Dr. Joachim Marzahn. Most of the tablets are in the storage and
                only a few are on display.

                For more details, please refer to our book: Y. Goren, I. Finkelstein, N.
                Na�aman. 2004. Inscribed in Clay, Provenance Study of the Amarna Tablets and
                Other Near Eastern Texts. Tel Aviv.

                Yuval Goren

                Prof. Yuval Goren

                Department of Archaeology and

                Ancient Near Eastern Cultures

                Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978 IL

                Tel.: +972 3 6409664

                Fax: +972 3 6407237

                HYPERLINK
                "http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir_yuval_goren.html"
                http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir_yuval_goren.html

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                21:57

              • Yuval Goren
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12, 2007
                  As for the other tablets (BM, Cairo and others), best would be to consult
                  with Prof. Anson Rainey. In Cairo all the Amarna tablets are on display (in
                  one case), in the BM most of them are not.

                  Yuval Goren

                  Prof. Yuval Goren

                  Department of Archaeology and

                  Ancient Near Eastern Cultures

                  Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978 IL

                  Tel.: +972 3 6409664

                  Fax: +972 3 6407237

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir_yuval_goren.html"
                  http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir_yuval_goren.html

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  21:57

                • arenmaeir
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 14, 2007
                    Would anybody be ablet to point out sources which deal with the use of
                    volcanic products (e.g., basalt, tufa, pumice, etc.) within various
                    production procedures. This would include as production tools,
                    additives to other materials, etc.

                    Thanks,
                    Aren Maeir
                    a very hot Gittite