Re: [ANE-2] Re: Primary document

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 5, 2007
      Jim West wrote:
      ---- <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Ok- so what is the 'byt dwd'? I.e., who is "Dwd"? And what "byt" is
      > referenced? And, in short, how will you fill in the gaps if you don't
      > use the Bible as your sourcebook?

      I write:
      For this particular phrase, the conclusion would not alter, though perhaps the vocalization of the name would. That there was a DWD, however you want to pronounce it, who was understood to have been a dynastic founder in a particular territory, is a conclusion entirely in keeping with Aramaean and Assyrian usage. And that's it.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California
    • Antonio Lombatti
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 20, 2007
        I'm not sure if archaeological discoveries in Rome are relevant to listers and discussed on ANE. So, block my email if necessary.

        A large 2nd-century bath complex believed to be part of a wealthy Roman's luxurious residence has been partially dug up in Rome, archaeologists said.

        The exceptionally well-preserved two-story complex, which extends for at least five acres, includes ornate hot rooms, vaults, changing rooms, marble latrines and an underground room where slaves lit the fire to warm the baths.

        The complex was believed to be part of a multi-story villa that belonged to the Roman-era equivalent of a billionaire, a man called Quintus Servilius Pudens who was a friend of Emperor Hadrian. It was unclear whether the baths were open to the public or reserved for the owner's distinguished guests.

        This is the link to the full article:

        http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/07/20/romanbath_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070720091530

        There are some nice photos too.

        Antonio Lombatti