[ANE-2] Primary document (kleine Versehen)

  • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
      I hasten to add that I know full well that the Tell Dan inscription is palaeographically from the ninth or eighth centuries ; the dating I cited depends on the case built by Schniedewind. The text itself is not unanimously vocalised by every scholar, thus I refrained from translating "house of David".

      J.-F. Nardelli

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
        The problem was not your dating. Yourproposal is at the top of
        possibilities, and has to do with the joints made between fragments a,
        b1 and b2.

        The problem is that you take the mentioning of the king in l. 8 to have
        anything to do with 'house of Dvd' in l. 9. The lacuna is quite long, so
        this is a gratuitous assumption.

        My reconstruction of the Aramaic text and translation will be found in
        The Israelites in History and Tradition (WJK, 1998), pp. 41-42.

        For a different reconstruction, cf. George Athas, The Tel Dan
        Inscription (Sheffield University, 2003). And for an almost complete
        overview of proposals, cf. Halvard Hagelia's new book in the Coniectanea
        Biblica series.

        The king in l. 8 is clearly as mentioned the king of Israel.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
          Sorry, the reference to Hagelia was not correct. Found the book:
          Hallvard Hagelia, The Tel Dan Inscription: A Critical Investigation of
          Recent Research on Its Palaeography and Philology. Acta Universitatis
          Upsalienses, 22. Uppsala University2006.