SV: [ANE-2] Re: Book review of the Talpiot tomb- a must read

    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 4, 2007
      -----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
      Fra: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
      Sendt: 4. juli 2007 12:38
      Til: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Emne: Re: [ANE-2] Re: Book review of the Talpiot tomb- a must read

      The problem with the person Yeshua is that, apart from the chronologically remote Gospels and the earlier but heavily reworked Acts, we do not have a scrap of evidence that he ever lived. All the 4the century writings who talk about Socrates being apologetically influenced by his legend, save for the hostile depiction Aristophanes gives of him, for a somewhat earlier phase of his career, in the Clouds, Socrates might conceivably have been a literary phenomenon a posteriori and the result of an "illusion rétrospective" created by Plato, Xenophon and the minor Socratics (so Dupréel), but his very existence is beyond any doubt, thanks to the Attic inscriptions which attest him and his two wives, for example. Let us not muddle the debate any further by bringing back the credibility of Platon and Xenophon qua witnesses.

      J.-F. Nardelli

      Sorry I wrote nonsense. Symposion is of course by Plato. Otherwise, the image of Socrates is of course colored by the ancient contemporary writers who wrote about him. Here is a lesson to be learned.

      NPLemche
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 4, 2007
        My review: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/4277_4249.pdf

        Niels Peter Lemche