Re: [ANE-2] Re: Book review of the Talpiot tomb- a must read

  • Bradley Skene
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 3, 2007
      The best evidence we have is the record in Josephus recording James as the
      leader of a sect within the second temple (not the later Christian
      interpolation that talks about Jesus). Other than that the relatively early
      date of the the Gospels of Thomas and Matthew would suggest that some of the
      audience would have known from personal experience if no such person as
      Jesus existed. The fact that such objections are not addressed would suggest
      that they were not made.

      But then, there is not much more persuasive evidence for the existence of
      Socrates. Given the tiny fraction of ancient literature, documentary and
      physical evidence that remains, this is not that surprising, or any
      compelling reason to question the existence of Jesus. It would be nice to
      have disinterested epigraphic evidence (to the extent epigraphic evidence
      really is disinterested), such as a list of criminals condemned by Pilate at
      the passover festival in 29 AD (or whatever the appropriate year would be),
      but I wouldn't wait holding my breath for it to surface. I've often wondered
      why no search of the Roman chancery was made at the time of Constantine or
      after (before 410) for relevant documents.

      Braldey A. Skene

      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 4, 2007
        My review: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/4277_4249.pdf

        Niels Peter Lemche