Email, scholarship.

  • Clark Whelton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
      Last week I exchanged 32 email messages with friends and colleagues in three
      continents on the subject of the bronze-iron interchange. A large amount of
      information passed back and forth, including texts, documents, images, etc.
      . It occurred to me via snail mail such an exchange would have taken many
      months, and might not have taken place at all. I'm wondering what impact
      e-communications are having on scholarship in general, and what has been
      written on this subject.

      Clark Whelton
      New York
    • Paula Veiga
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
        Dear all,

        it is really an important issue; the use of internet as a source for
        bibliography search, file exchange and personal and institutional contacts.

        I have been thinking about this for some time now and I believe it would
        make a great research paper or even publication.

        Almost all of the studying and contacting cross country-related is done this
        way and for me, I would never have met so many interesting colleagues and
        made some friends if it wasn't for the internet availability.

        It is very important to know who is studying similar subjects and exchange
        articles and photos; who has made a Master or PhD on the same subject and
        who is who and where (Universities, Institutes, Associations, Authors and so
        on)...

        I am very thankful too to list subscribing because almost all the news on
        discoveries, publications, exhibitions, conferences are this way vehicled to
        everyone interested.

        The recent news on "Unicoding" hieroglyphic writing is another big step! And
        for me, studying both egyptology and history of medicine the access to
        medical journals is still a plus and I believe it should be free to all
        scholars and students.

        Let's keep up this world wide web functioning for the sake of research
        progresses!

        --
        Paula Veiga
        Health and Medicine in Ancient Egypt

      • Beatrice Hopkinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2007
          International exchanges are so important in exposing us to colleagues
          working in areas similar to our own. My first reaction to scholarly
          lists that discuss the areas we are interested in, is that it was like an
          immediate four-year university education - the value being in the
          exchanges which allow us to think more broadly about the issues we
          pursue. We make instant contacts through our questions that would
          otherwise take a working lifetime to achieve...perhaps the main problem
          nowadays would be to achieve greater brevity:)

          Beatrice Hopkinson

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2007
            For the last ten years or so, it has become indispensable. A fast way of interchange. Happily we are not bothered by a Nobel Prize or restrictions put on us by commercial concerns (research leading to products that can earn money--a lot of). We discussed this a few years ago at a meeting with the vice-chancellor who himself came from medicine. He was amazed when we in the humanities told him of the character of our exchange: we don't have time to wait for all that; we just communicate in open language. I hope that we can preserve this open attitude.

            'Brevity'? It is not brevity that counts, it is the quality of the qrgument.

            Niels Peter Lemche

            International exchanges are so important in exposing us to colleagues
            working in areas similar to our own. My first reaction to scholarly
            lists that discuss the areas we are interested in, is that it was like an
            immediate four-year university education - the value being in the
            exchanges which allow us to think more broadly about the issues we
            pursue. We make instant contacts through our questions that would
            otherwise take a working lifetime to achieve...perhaps the main problem
            nowadays would be to achieve greater brevity:)

            Beatrice Hopkinson

            >Last week I exchanged 32 email messages with friends and colleagues in three
            >continents on the subject of the bronze-iron interchange. A large amount of
            >information passed back and forth, including texts, documents, images, etc.
            >. It occurred to me via snail mail such an exchange would have taken many
            >months, and might not have taken place at all. I'm wondering what impact
            >e-communications are having on scholarship in general, and what has been
            >written on this subject.
            >

            >Clark Whelton
            >New York

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • George F Somsel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
              Quality -- yes. I would replace the maxim "caveat emptor" with "caveat lector."

              george
              gfsomsel

              defend the truth till death.

              - Jan Hus
              _________

              For the last ten years or so, it has become indispensable. A fast way of interchange. Happily we are not bothered by a Nobel Prize or restrictions put on us by commercial concerns (research leading to products that can earn money--a lot of). We discussed this a few years ago at a meeting with the vice-chancellor who himself came from medicine. He was amazed when we in the humanities told him of the character of our exchange: we don't have time to wait for all that; we just communicate in open language. I hope that we can preserve this open attitude.

              'Brevity'? It is not brevity that counts, it is the quality of the qrgument.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              International exchanges are so important in exposing us to colleagues
              working in areas similar to our own. My first reaction to scholarly
              lists that discuss the areas we are interested in, is that it was like an
              immediate four-year university education - the value being in the
              exchanges which allow us to think more broadly about the issues we
              pursue. We make instant contacts through our questions that would
              otherwise take a working lifetime to achieve...perhaps the main problem
              nowadays would be to achieve greater brevity:)

              Beatrice Hopkinson

              >Last week I exchanged 32 email messages with friends and colleagues in three
              >continents on the subject of the bronze-iron interchange. A large amount of
              >information passed back and forth, including texts, documents, images, etc.
              >. It occurred to me via snail mail such an exchange would have taken many
              >months, and might not have taken place at all. I'm wondering what impact
              >e-communications are having on scholarship in general, and what has been
              >written on this subject.
              >

              >Clark Whelton
              >New York

            • Tom Elliott
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
                More than once I have heard Richard Talbert say that "the Barrington
                Atlas would never have been completed without email."

                Best,
                Tom

                Tom Elliott, Ph.D.
                Director, Pleiades Project
                Ancient World Mapping Center
                http://pleiades.stoa.org

                Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
                > International exchanges are so important in exposing us to colleagues
                > working in areas similar to our own. My first reaction to scholarly
                > lists that discuss the areas we are interested in, is that it was like an
                > immediate four-year university education - the value being in the
                > exchanges which allow us to think more broadly about the issues we
                > pursue. We make instant contacts through our questions that would
                > otherwise take a working lifetime to achieve...perhaps the main problem
                > nowadays would be to achieve greater brevity:)
                >
                > Beatrice Hopkinson
                >
                >> Last week I exchanged 32 email messages with friends and colleagues in three
                >> continents on the subject of the bronze-iron interchange. A large amount of
                >> information passed back and forth, including texts, documents, images, etc.
                >> . It occurred to me via snail mail such an exchange would have taken many
                >> months, and might not have taken place at all. I'm wondering what impact
                >> e-communications are having on scholarship in general, and what has been
                >> written on this subject.
                >>

                >> Clark Whelton
                >> New York
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Beatrice Hopkinson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
                  >'Brevity'? It is not brevity that counts, it is the quality of the qrgument.

                  Most definitely that too :)

                  Beatrice Hopkinson