Akkadian paleography and orthography

  • Yigal Bloch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2007
      Dear ANErs,

      Are there any commonly accepted studies of paleography and orthography of Akkadian documents as these developed through time? I am especially interested in the Middle Assyrian and the early Neo-Assyrian periods.
      Of course, Rene Labat, _Manuel d'epigraphie akkadienne_, provides distinct sign-forms and sign-values for Old Akkadian, Old, Middle and Neo-Assyrian and Babylonian and for the different centers of writing on the periphery of the cuneiform world; and there is also _Das akkadische Syllabar_ by von Soden and Rollig. What I am looking for, however, are finer chronological distinctions, and in the field of orthography, they need not be restricted to individual sign-values. For example, in his article on the Tell Fekheriye bilingual in Maarav 3 (1982), Stephen Kaufman noted that the ductus of the Akkadian version of that inscription is "unquestionably typologically later" than the ductus of the Kapara inscriptions from Tell Halaf (p. 140). And in the publication of a late Middle Assyrian tablet with West Semitic (Aramaic?) names in SAAB 2 (1988), Robert Whiting pointed out that "the regular use of the personal name indicator suggests a relatively late date" (p. 99; in fact, one of the five PNs in that tablet does not have the personal name determinative, but perhaps this is to be explained by the fact that the relevant PN is a patronymic). Are there any studies that collect and explain observations of this kind?

      Yigal Bloch,
      Jerusalem