Whips in the ANE

  • Luis Siddall
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
      Dear all,

      In light of the Assyrian references to the whip of Adad (eg. Adad-
      nirari III's Saba'a stele: qi-na-an-zi) and the whip as tribute for
      Egypt from Tyre (EA 151:48: qi-na-zi) I wonder if anyone knows what
      these whips looked like? Are there any reliefs etc. that indicate
      what style of whip these texts refer to? i.e. like our modern cattle
      whip or like a jockey's.

      Regards,

      Luis Siddall
      PhD Candidate
      University of Sydney
    • Richard S. Ellis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
        Hi,

        Some of Assurnasirpal II's charioteers are shown with whips
        (Stommenger/Hirmer Mesopotamien, pl.202) and the religious/magical
        functionary who wears a lion suit is shown holding a whip in reliefs of
        Assurnasirpal II and Tiglathpleser III (sorry, I can't find pictures in
        the books I have at home).

        Dick Ellis