May message statistics

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
      According to the logs, May generated the following
      message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

      Total submissions to list
      402 (377)

      Bounced by Yahoo
      36 (27)

      Rejected
      33 (38)

      Posted to list
      333 (312)

      Number of individuals posting
      92 (72)

      Top posters (double figures)

      Jim West 30 (13)
      Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
      Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
      Joe Zias 12 (8)
      Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
      Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
      Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

      As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
      April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

      Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
      slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
      the summer as many people are away from their computers.

      Bob Whiting
      for the moderators
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
        What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
        being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

        --
        Jim West, ThD

      • Trudy Kawami
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
          Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
          Trudy Kawami

          ________________________________

          --
          Jim West, ThD

          http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
          http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

        • Robert M Whiting
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
            According to the logs, June generated the following
            message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

            Total submissions to list
            274 (402)

            Bounced by Yahoo
            44 (36)

            Rejected
            33 (33)

            Posted to list
            197 (333)

            Number of individuals posting
            74 (92)

            Top posters (double figures)

            Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
            Jim West 14 (30)
            Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

            As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
            May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

            Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
            be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
            vacations and spend less time at their computers

            On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
            of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
            members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
            when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
            registered under.

            I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
            that you can post from more than one email address. To do this, from the
            ANE-2 group's home page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on
            the link "My Groups" near the top at the far right side of the page.
            This will take you to a page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you
            belong. Near the top on the right side of this page you will see a link
            "My Email Preferences". This link will take you to a page that lists all
            the email addresses that are associated with your Yahoo profile. The last
            column in this list is headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the
            row that contains the email address with which you are subscribed to the
            ANE-2 list. This will take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate
            Posting Addresses" for the email address with which you are subscribed.
            After entering the alternate email address(es), do not forget to click
            "Save Changes" before navigating away from the page. If your alternate
            address(es) are not already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the
            address(es) you enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this,
            you should be able to post to the list from any email address that you
            have entered on this page.

            One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
            extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
            with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
            order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
            without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
            link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
            banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
            behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
            turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
            Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
            page.

            Bob Whiting
            for the moderators
          • Robert M Whiting
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
              According to the logs, July generated the following
              message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

              Total submissions to list
              447 (274)

              Bounced by Yahoo
              56 (44)

              Rejected
              34 (33)

              Posted to list
              357 (197)

              Number of individuals posting
              78 (74)

              Top posters (double figures)

              Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
              Jim West 19 (14)
              David Q. Hall 18 (5)
              Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
              Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
              Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
              Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
              Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
              Frank Polak 10 (1)
              Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

              As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
              June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

              Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
              year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
              month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

              On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
              monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
              it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
              number of the address lists that spammers use.

              While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
              where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
              the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
              removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
              the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
              extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
              leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
              will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
              given previously:

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                According to the logs, August generated the following
                message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                Total submissions to list
                205 (447)

                Bounced by Yahoo
                42 (56)

                Rejected
                9 (34)

                Posted to list
                154 (357)

                Number of individuals posting
                62 (78)

                Top posters (double figures)

                Jim West 18 (19)

                As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                wrong address.

                Bob Whiting
                for the moderators
              • Robert M Whiting
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                  According to the logs, September generated the following
                  message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                  Total submissions to list
                  342 (205)

                  Bounced by Yahoo
                  37 (42)

                  Rejected
                  22 (9)

                  Posted to list
                  283 (154)

                  Number of individuals posting
                  77 (62)

                  Top posters (double figures)

                  Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                  Jim West 15 (18)
                  Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                  Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                  Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                  As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                  August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                  Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                  year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                  the summer and the new academic year begins.

                  Bob Whiting
                  for the moderators
                • Christopher Conlan
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Bob,

                    Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                    Chris Conlan

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                      On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                      > Bob,
                      >
                      > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                      Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                      have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                      approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                      when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                      has the header:

                      21:01:52 -0000

                      Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                      listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                      posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                      members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                      A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                      the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                      Bob Whiting
                      whiting@...