Re: [ANE-2] Re: Babylonian month name in 6th century Greek inscription?

  • Giuseppe Del Monte
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      The tablet, Fort. 1771, is mentioned and briefly
      discussed by Hallock in his Persepolis
      Fortification Tablets (OIP 92), p. 2: "Two marri$ (of) wine. Tebet".

      Giuseppe Del Monte

      At 04.14 02/06/2007, you wrote:

      >Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
      >one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
      >tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
      >on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
      >Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
      >Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
      >checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
      >Hope the reference is helpful.
      >
      >Marc Cooper

      Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
      Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
      e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
      Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
      Università di Pisa
      via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
      Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
        Many thanks to all for the citation -- and to Chuck for the URL to Hallock's publication.

        Chris