Re: Babylonian month name in 6th century Greek inscription?

  • Charles Ellwood Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      The text of the Persepolis Fortificaton Tablet in Greek was published by Hallock in 1969 on
      page 2 of Persepolis Fortification Tablets, which, as luck would have it was republished
      online in April, and is available via the link at:
      http://persepolistablets.blogspot.com/2007/04/hallocks-persepolis-fortification.html

      It is dated in the month Tebet of an unspecified year, presumably, like all the dated texts
      in the archive, between 509-494.

      Jack Balcer published Hallock's copy of the tablet, but my files on this are elsewhere. If
      someone want's further information, let me know.

      -Chuck Jones-

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@...> wrote:

      > Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
      > one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
      > tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
      > on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
      > Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
      > Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
      > checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
      > Hope the reference is helpful.
      >
      > Marc Cooper
      >

      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "christopherjbennett" <cjbennett@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
      > > Persepolis
      > > > which includes a Babylonian month name?
      > > >
      > > > Marc Cooper
      > >
      > > CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an
      > inscription?
      > > Can you provide a reference for it?

      > > CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
      > > interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in
      > Ionia.
      > >
      > > I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
      > > introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
      > > already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
      > > asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
      > > learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long
      > and
      > > rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
      > > sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
      > > point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).
      > >
      > > He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely
      > impossible,
      > > I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth.
      > > think this inscription exists.
      > >
      > > Chris

    • Giuseppe Del Monte
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        The tablet, Fort. 1771, is mentioned and briefly
        discussed by Hallock in his Persepolis
        Fortification Tablets (OIP 92), p. 2: "Two marri$ (of) wine. Tebet".

        Giuseppe Del Monte

        At 04.14 02/06/2007, you wrote:

        >Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
        >one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
        >tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
        >on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
        >Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
        >Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
        >checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
        >Hope the reference is helpful.
        >
        >Marc Cooper

        Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
        Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
        e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        Università di Pisa
        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          Many thanks to all for the citation -- and to Chuck for the URL to Hallock's publication.

          Chris