Re: Babylonian month name in 6th century Greek inscription?

  • christopherjbennett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@...> wrote:

      > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
      Persepolis
      > which includes a Babylonian month name?
      >
      > Marc Cooper

      CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an inscription?
      Can you provide a reference for it?

      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
      > > where it was supposedly found?

      CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
      interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in Ionia.

      I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
      introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
      already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
      asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
      learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long and
      rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
      sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
      point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).

      He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely impossible,
      I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth. I
      think this inscription exists.

      Chris

      > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>
      > > wrote:
      > >

      > > > In a discussion on another group concerning the
      > > > relationship between
      > > > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
      > > > poster claims to know
      > > > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
      > > > a Babylonian month
      > > > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
      > > > interested in
      > > > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
      > > > it, and has
      > > > refused to provide any more information about this
      > > > inscription.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance
      > > > Chris Bennett

    • Marc Cooper
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
        one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
        tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
        on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
        Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
        Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
        checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
        Hope the reference is helpful.

        Marc Cooper

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "christopherjbennett" <cjbennett@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
        > Persepolis
        > > which includes a Babylonian month name?
        > >
        > > Marc Cooper
        >
        > CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an
        inscription?
        > Can you provide a reference for it?
        >
        > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
        > > > where it was supposedly found?
        >
        > CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
        > interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in
        Ionia.

        > I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
        > introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
        > already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
        > asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
        > learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long
        and
        > rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
        > sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
        > point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).
        >
        > He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely
        impossible,
        > I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth.
        > think this inscription exists.
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>

      • Charles Ellwood Jones
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          The text of the Persepolis Fortificaton Tablet in Greek was published by Hallock in 1969 on
          page 2 of Persepolis Fortification Tablets, which, as luck would have it was republished
          online in April, and is available via the link at:
          http://persepolistablets.blogspot.com/2007/04/hallocks-persepolis-fortification.html

          It is dated in the month Tebet of an unspecified year, presumably, like all the dated texts
          in the archive, between 509-494.

          Jack Balcer published Hallock's copy of the tablet, but my files on this are elsewhere. If
          someone want's further information, let me know.

          -Chuck Jones-

        • Giuseppe Del Monte
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            The tablet, Fort. 1771, is mentioned and briefly
            discussed by Hallock in his Persepolis
            Fortification Tablets (OIP 92), p. 2: "Two marri$ (of) wine. Tebet".

            Giuseppe Del Monte

            At 04.14 02/06/2007, you wrote:

            >Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
            >one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
            >tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
            >on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
            >Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
            >Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
            >checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
            >Hope the reference is helpful.
            >
            >Marc Cooper

            Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
            Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
            e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
            Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
            Università di Pisa
            via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
            Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
              Many thanks to all for the citation -- and to Chuck for the URL to Hallock's publication.

              Chris