Re: Babylonian month name in 6th century Greek inscription?

  • Marc Cooper
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from Persepolis
      which includes a Babylonian month name?

      Marc Cooper

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@...> wrote:

      > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
      > where it was supposedly found?
      >

      > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > In a discussion on another group concerning the
      > > relationship between
      > > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
      > > poster claims to know
      > > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
      > > a Babylonian month
      > > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
      > > interested in
      > > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
      > > it, and has
      > > refused to provide any more information about this
      > > inscription.
      > >
      > > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance
      > > Chris Bennett

    • christopherjbennett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@...> wrote:

        > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
        Persepolis
        > which includes a Babylonian month name?
        >
        > Marc Cooper

        CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an inscription?
        Can you provide a reference for it?

        > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
        > > where it was supposedly found?

        CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
        interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in Ionia.

        I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
        introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
        already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
        asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
        learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long and
        rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
        sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
        point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).

        He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely impossible,
        I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth. I
        think this inscription exists.

        Chris

        > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>
        > > wrote:
        > >

        > > > In a discussion on another group concerning the
        > > > relationship between
        > > > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
        > > > poster claims to know
        > > > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
        > > > a Babylonian month
        > > > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
        > > > interested in
        > > > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
        > > > it, and has
        > > > refused to provide any more information about this
        > > > inscription.
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance
        > > > Chris Bennett

      • Marc Cooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
          one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
          tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
          on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
          Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
          Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
          checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
          Hope the reference is helpful.

          Marc Cooper

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "christopherjbennett" <cjbennett@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
          > Persepolis
          > > which includes a Babylonian month name?
          > >
          > > Marc Cooper
          >
          > CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an
          inscription?
          > Can you provide a reference for it?
          >
          > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
          > > > where it was supposedly found?
          >
          > CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
          > interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in
          Ionia.

          > I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
          > introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
          > already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
          > asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
          > learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long
          and
          > rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
          > sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
          > point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).
          >
          > He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely
          impossible,
          > I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth.
          > think this inscription exists.
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>

        • Charles Ellwood Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            The text of the Persepolis Fortificaton Tablet in Greek was published by Hallock in 1969 on
            page 2 of Persepolis Fortification Tablets, which, as luck would have it was republished
            online in April, and is available via the link at:
            http://persepolistablets.blogspot.com/2007/04/hallocks-persepolis-fortification.html

            It is dated in the month Tebet of an unspecified year, presumably, like all the dated texts
            in the archive, between 509-494.

            Jack Balcer published Hallock's copy of the tablet, but my files on this are elsewhere. If
            someone want's further information, let me know.

            -Chuck Jones-

          • Giuseppe Del Monte
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
              The tablet, Fort. 1771, is mentioned and briefly
              discussed by Hallock in his Persepolis
              Fortification Tablets (OIP 92), p. 2: "Two marri$ (of) wine. Tebet".

              Giuseppe Del Monte

              At 04.14 02/06/2007, you wrote:

              >Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
              >one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
              >tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
              >on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
              >Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
              >Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
              >checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
              >Hope the reference is helpful.
              >
              >Marc Cooper

              Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
              Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
              e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
              Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
              Università di Pisa
              via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
              Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
                Many thanks to all for the citation -- and to Chuck for the URL to Hallock's publication.

                Chris