Re: [ANE-2] Babylonian month name in 6th century Greek inscription?

  • Tory Thorpe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
      where it was supposedly found?

      --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@...>
      wrote:

      > In a discussion on another group concerning the
      > relationship between
      > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
      > poster claims to know
      > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
      > a Babylonian month
      > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
      > interested in
      > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
      > it, and has
      > refused to provide any more information about this
      > inscription.
      >
      > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      > Chris Bennett

    • Marc Cooper
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from Persepolis
        which includes a Babylonian month name?

        Marc Cooper

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@...> wrote:

        > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
        > where it was supposedly found?
        >

        > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > In a discussion on another group concerning the
        > > relationship between
        > > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
        > > poster claims to know
        > > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
        > > a Babylonian month
        > > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
        > > interested in
        > > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
        > > it, and has
        > > refused to provide any more information about this
        > > inscription.
        > >
        > > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance
        > > Chris Bennett

      • christopherjbennett
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@...> wrote:

          > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
          Persepolis
          > which includes a Babylonian month name?
          >
          > Marc Cooper

          CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an inscription?
          Can you provide a reference for it?

          > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
          > > where it was supposedly found?

          CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
          interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in Ionia.

          I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
          introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
          already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
          asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
          learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long and
          rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
          sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
          point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).

          He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely impossible,
          I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth. I
          think this inscription exists.

          Chris

          > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > In a discussion on another group concerning the
          > > > relationship between
          > > > Babylonian and Seleucid Macedonian calendars, a
          > > > poster claims to know
          > > > of an inscription of the 6th century BC which gives
          > > > a Babylonian month
          > > > name in Greek. Unfortunately, the poster is more
          > > > interested in
          > > > demonstrating his superior knowledge than in sharing
          > > > it, and has
          > > > refused to provide any more information about this
          > > > inscription.
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance
          > > > Chris Bennett

        • Marc Cooper
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
            one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
            tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
            on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
            Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
            Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
            checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
            Hope the reference is helpful.

            Marc Cooper

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "christopherjbennett" <cjbennett@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Cooper" <marc.cooper@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Could the poster be referring to a Greek inscription from
            > Persepolis
            > > which includes a Babylonian month name?
            > >
            > > Marc Cooper
            >
            > CJB: That would fit the bill. Do you know of such an
            inscription?
            > Can you provide a reference for it?
            >
            > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Tory Thorpe <torythrp@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I don't know what he means. Does he at least mention
            > > > where it was supposedly found?
            >
            > CJB: No, he did not say where it was found. Persepolis is an
            > interesting suggestion, I had been thinking maybe somewhere in
            Ionia.

            > I can no longer ask him, even if I were willing to do so. He
            > introduced it by telling me how ignorant I was because I didn't
            > already know about it. That piqued my curiosity. However, when I
            > asked him for more information his only answer was that he had
            > learned about it 15 years ago. This was the last straw in a long
            and
            > rather unpleasant discussion, characterised by many similar non
            > sequiturs and exercises in circular logic. I stopped it at that
            > point by leaving that group (this person is the group moderator).
            >
            > He is quite knowledgeable, and, while it is not entirely
            impossible,
            > I don't believe he would actually invent data out of whole cloth.
            > think this inscription exists.
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > > > --- christopherjbennett <cjbennett@>

          • Charles Ellwood Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
              The text of the Persepolis Fortificaton Tablet in Greek was published by Hallock in 1969 on
              page 2 of Persepolis Fortification Tablets, which, as luck would have it was republished
              online in April, and is available via the link at:
              http://persepolistablets.blogspot.com/2007/04/hallocks-persepolis-fortification.html

              It is dated in the month Tebet of an unspecified year, presumably, like all the dated texts
              in the archive, between 509-494.

              Jack Balcer published Hallock's copy of the tablet, but my files on this are elsewhere. If
              someone want's further information, let me know.

              -Chuck Jones-

            • Giuseppe Del Monte
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                The tablet, Fort. 1771, is mentioned and briefly
                discussed by Hallock in his Persepolis
                Fortification Tablets (OIP 92), p. 2: "Two marri$ (of) wine. Tebet".

                Giuseppe Del Monte

                At 04.14 02/06/2007, you wrote:

                >Not all the Fortification Tablets are in Elamite. There is at least
                >one in Babylonian, others in Aramaic, and one in Greek. The Greek
                >tablet includes a Babylonian month name. There is probably an article
                >on the Greek inscription available, but my reference is from David
                >Lewis, Sparta and Persia: Lectures Delivered at the University of
                >Cincinnati, Autumn 1976. Published 1977, BRILL, ISBN 9004054278. I
                >checked Google Books, but this one is not available online in the US.
                >Hope the reference is helpful.
                >
                >Marc Cooper

                Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
                Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
                e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
                Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
                Università di Pisa
                via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
                Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Many thanks to all for the citation -- and to Chuck for the URL to Hallock's publication.

                  Chris