proof that politics and archaeology are intertwined

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2007
      Ha'aretz carries an essay today

      in which the author notes

      Amid the general zeal of the Londons and the Kirschenbaums and their
      talking-heads colleagues for demonstrating their mastery of the history
      of the Second Temple period, and to revive debates from their youth
      movement days over whether Herod was good or bad for the Jews, one
      important detail was forgotten, or almost forgotten: that the excavation
      of this tomb of Herod was carried out in occupied territory, where
      Israel has no moral right to dig and certainly not to remove
      archaeological artifacts. In the enlightened world, what Israel is
      doing is called robbery.

      Read the whole.

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • Yitzhak Sapir
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2007
        On 5/13/07, Jim West wrote quoting an article in Haaretz that says:
        > that the excavation
        > of this tomb of Herod was carried out in occupied territory, where
        > Israel has no moral right to dig and certainly not to remove
        > archaeological artifacts. In the enlightened world, what Israel is
        > doing is called robbery.

        What Israel is doing may objectively be called "robbery" by the
        enlightened world only after having put into place ridiculous laws
        that discriminate Jews in such a way. It is much the same way as
        the International Red Cross which only less than a year ago
        recognized the Israeli Magen David Adom as a legitimate health
        service that should be accorded the same protections and respects
        as international law grants others, or the same way that Jews who
        choose to live in Judea and Samaria were forbidden to do so prior
        to 1967 by the occupying Jordanian government, and forbidden to
        do so afterwards by the international laws. One may also cite the
        Israeli membership to the UN which has long been membership in
        a regional group, thus making it a second-class member of the
        UN. Israel continues to have to fight these restrictions. Thus, the
        international laws may indeed claim that Israel's excavations of
        artifacts is robbery, and using the legal framework of these
        international laws, that may be the case. But it is only true in the
        perverted reality of the UN laws. What these laws cannot do is
        call Israel's actions immoral. Israel, as the Jewish state, has every
        moral right to excavate its own heritage, and also retain the
        excavated artifacts. It is ridiculous to claim that the best interests
        of these artifacts is to hand them over to a Hamas-led extremist
        government which would just as soon destroy them as the Taliban
        destroyed the Buddhas of Bamyam in Afghanistan and as the
        Waqf on the Temple Mount consistently destroys artifacts that
        show any evidence of a Jewish temple. It is possible that if in a make-
        believe world, the Palestinian Authority government was not made
        up of such extremist factions as Hamas or Fatah, but of such entities
        that accepted the legitimate heritage Jews have in the land, and
        effectively enforced this upon the Waqf and other looters, this issue
        of who should retain the artifacts would become secondary. But even
        then, Israel would still have a moral right to hold on to these artifacts.

        Yitzhak Sapir
      • Marc Cooper
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2007
          ANE-2 normally refrains from allowing threads concerning current
          political issues. In this case we have had point and counter-point. The
          thread is closed.

          Marc Cooper
          for the Moderators