RE: Shiloh

  • HUMAP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 11 4:27 PM
      I was at Shiloh for the 1983 season. The top of the site has exposed
      bedrock, naturally offering no clue to prior usage. The western slope near the top
      of the tell revealed a comparatively large Iron Age multistoried (likely two)
      building, attributed to Israelite construction. Finkelstein claimed that this
      building was the oldest public building erected by Israelites, and was
      doubtless used for storage. This building may be the source of some misguided
      speculation, but it clearly had no cultic function. If memory serves, the
      building contained collared rim storage jars, which were located in more than one
      building at the site. In addition, silos were dug, including one which I
      excavated on the opposite side of the tell which contained carbonized wheat, likely
      from the aftermath of Ebenezer. All this serves as evidence for cultic
      activity, though no evidence of the structure for cultic activity was located. I
      also uncovered the section of the eastern wall which contained the remnants of
      Canaanite offerings, primarily in bowls, which were discarded over the city
      wall near the bedrock. Likewise, there was no evidence of Canaanite cultic
      structures.

      Mark Anthony Phelps