Book Announcement

  • Steve Wiggins
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      ****Book Announcement****

      Gorgias Press would like to announce the following book:

      Web link:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?isbn=978-1-59333-422-2

      Or www.gorgiaspress.com and search for ISBN 978-1-59333-422-2
      . Title: Scribal Habits of Codex Sinaiticus
      . Subtitle:
      . Author: Dirk Jongkind
      . Series: Texts and Studies Third Series
      . Series Volume: 5
      . ISBN: 978-1-59333-422-2
      . Price: $78
      . Format: Hardback, 6 x 9, 1 vol(s), xvii i+ 323 pp.
      . Availability: In Print

      ***Book Description***

      Codex Sinaiticus is the oldest manuscript containing the complete text of
      the New Testament. Besides the New Testament, this codex from the fourth
      century also contains large parts of the Greek Old Testament, though quite a
      large part of this section did not survive. Codex Sinaiticus is much more
      than simply a particular instance of the Greek text of the Bible. At least
      three different scribes copied the text out by hand, and these scribes were
      faced with many decisions in the process of writing: How many letters do I
      put on this line? Will I contract this word as a nomen sacrum or will I
      spell it out in full? What do I do when I spot an error in the text I have
      just copied? What is the right spelling of this word? Is it time for a new
      paragraph? How do I fit the text I have copied to that of my colleague?
      This book studies a wide variety of textual and non-textual phenomena of
      Codex Sinaiticus. Thus we not only learn more about this important biblical
      manuscript, but are also able to discern much about the individual scribes.
      The Codex Sinaiticus is not a homogenous book, but the product of
      individuals with their own habits and different qualities. This study shows
      that it is possible to rate the scribes of the New Testament according to
      their individual copying ability.
      Dirk Jongkind finished his doctoral work at Cambridge University in 2005.
      Before taking up a research fellowship at Tyndale House, Cambridge, he was
      employed by the British Library in London to work on the curatorial
      preparation of the Codex Sinaiticus Digitisation Project. He is a fellow of
      St Edmund's College, Cambridge.

      ***Order Information***

      Gorgias Press
      www.gorgiaspress.com
      46 Orris Ave., Piscataway, NJ, 08854 USA
      Tel. +1 732-699-0343
      Fax +1 732-699-0342
      e-mail: orders@...
      ***Call for Submissions***

      Gorgias Press is interested to hear from scholars who are writing new
      monographs, text books, or reference works on the various subject areas that
      Gorgias Press publishes in. Gorgias Press also publishes revised doctoral
      dissertations in monograph form. To discuss a project proposal, write to
      submissions@....