Re: [ANE-2] Talpiot Tomb and BAS/BAR non-prophets

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2007
      I've been contacted by a few producers and am not all that sure that Discovery in and of itself is doing this but rather some independents who saw an opportunity and may be making the most of it. From the view over here in IL, the story is a dead one, at least I hope so as out of all those involved there appears only one who for various reasons is pushing it along with the James ossuary comes from the Talpiot tomb, which no one seriously believes.

      Joe

      Gary Greenberg <garygreenberg@...> wrote:
      At a lecture last night by Jodi Magness, we were advised that the Discovery
      Channel is doing a follow-up to the tomb story by interviewing scholars as
      to their reaction. Magness was going to be interviewed today. I don't know
      anything about the proposed air time.

      Gary Greenberg
      NYC

      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        I would just like to bring to the attention of group
        members that the Archaeological Institute of America
        sponsors FREE lectures in all of its ca. 100 local
        societies throughout North America, and it also
        publishes the excellent magazine "Archaeology," which
        is available both by subscription and on newsstands.
        While not devoted solely to "biblical archaeology"
        like BAR and NEA, this topic is a major component of
        the presentations. The AIA welcomes scholars in the
        field interested in lecturing through their program.

        For local societies and their lecture programs:
        http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10135

        Ellen Herscher
      • Garold Mills
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2007
          Hi,
          We have lectures here at OU. However they are not free. The local group has to fund the lecturer. Several Thousand dollars for travel etc. But the lecturers are great. Our local chapter has a goober for a president though.

          Garold Mills
          I would just like to bring to the attention of group
          members that the Archaeological Institute of America
          sponsors FREE lectures in all of its ca. 100 local
          societies throughout North America, and it also
          publishes the excellent magazine "Archaeology," which
          is available both by subscription and on newsstands.
          While not devoted solely to "biblical archaeology"
          like BAR and NEA, this topic is a major component of
          the presentations. The AIA welcomes scholars in the
          field interested in lecturing through their program.

          For local societies and their lecture programs:
          http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10135<http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10135>

          Ellen Herscher

        • nljmail@wideopenwest.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2007
            Just out of curiosity -- How does BAS/BAR (which I never thought was a non-profit, at least the magazine part) compare with National Geographic?��� I know that my Anthro teacher had a very low opinion of their grants...

            Nancy Jones
            Amateur Jack of all trades
            Arlington Hts, IL

            > As you state, underpaying academics is par for the course for BAR speakers compared to the exorbitant fees charged and you are right that Bill Dever and Jodi Magness are worth hearing. If you wish to become "enlightened" :-) go to Guidestar.com which has all the relevant info. on these so called non-profits. During the James Ossuary's 'real days' of BAR, gross revenues one year topped the 6 million dollars mark but 6,000 was given back to the academics and the profession. This is the 1/10Th of 1% that I speak about. Total exploitation of the term non-profit, whereas the percentage given back to the profession by ASOR make it truly a non-profit. This is par for the course. Some of the speakers do it for their own 'non-profits, others to sell books and others for their egos. What ties them all together is that all are underpaid, across the board for these very, very expensive lectures. If you wish to see where the money is going go to Guidestar and have a look at the salarie!
            s of some of those higher up the 'food chain' in terms of BAR/BAS salaries as advisers and then compare it to ASOR and to the pittance that BAR pays to these speakers. These wages for academics are truly insulting.