Re: JSTORation (was: Re: More OI books online)

  • Chris Bennett
    Message 1 of 28 , May 1, 2007
      Posted by: "Ariel L. Szczupak" ane.als@...
      Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:49 am (PST)
      At 12:38 AM 4/30/2007, Brian Yare wrote:

      >Ariel wrote:
      ><< The commercial publishers react to the lost revenues with ridiculous,
      >outrageous prices for non-subscription (electronic) reprints. >>
      >
      >While I accepted much of your post, this sentence struck hard.

      It shouldn't have - you, as a publisher, are as far from those I was
      talking about as can be :) I was talking reprints of recent articles
      from journals.

      ******

      I completely agree with Ariel. The competition for electronic reprints is photocopy machines. The per page cost of buying an online reprint is typically 10 times, and can be up to 100 times, the cost of photocopying the same article. Its extortion.

      A journal that shall remain nameless makes older articles available for free and more recent articles purchaseable online. When this policy was instituted it was advertised that the purchase window would be for three years, rolling annually. At the end of the first year the window didn't roll, instead it became a four year window. I asked one of the editors about it, he told me that the window didn't roll because no-one had actually bought any of the more recent articles.

      I wonder why.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 28 , May 1, 2007
        Hay Chris,

        Full signature! Please.

        However, your point about prints is correct, and if we take the discussion a little further, at least in my part of the world it is a problem to E-learning that electronic files are so expensive that it impossible to use such material when you are having a course. So we continue putting together compendia in paper format, which is affordable but rather stupid when everything else is electronic. And to ask people to read only things copyrighted by myself is even more stupid.

        I would greatly appreciate comments from other quarters.

        Niels Peter Lemche

        At 12:38 AM 4/30/2007, Brian Yare wrote:

        >Ariel wrote:
        ><< The commercial publishers react to the lost revenues with ridiculous,
        >outrageous prices for non-subscription (electronic) reprints. >>
        >
        >While I accepted much of your post, this sentence struck hard.

        It shouldn't have - you, as a publisher, are as far from those I was
        talking about as can be :) I was talking reprints of recent articles
        from journals.

        ******

        I completely agree with Ariel. The competition for electronic reprints is photocopy machines. The per page cost of buying an online reprint is typically 10 times, and can be up to 100 times, the cost of photocopying the same article. Its extortion.

        A journal that shall remain nameless makes older articles available for free and more recent articles purchaseable online. When this policy was instituted it was advertised that the purchase window would be for three years, rolling annually. At the end of the first year the window didn't roll, instead it became a four year window. I asked one of the editors about it, he told me that the window didn't roll because no-one had actually bought any of the more recent articles.

        I wonder why.

        Chris

        [
      • Mitch Allen
        Message 3 of 28 , May 1, 2007
          I forwarded the discussion of JSTOR's policies to a former colleague of
          mine who now works for JSTOR. If you have any concerns, kudos, or
          recommendations for publications that should be made available through
          them, she welcomes hearing from you: Anne Ray <anne.ray@...>.

          Please respond directly to her, not via the reply key, as she is not a
          member of this list.

          mitch allen

          Mitch Allen
          Publisher
          Left Coast Press, Inc.
          1630 N. Main Street, #400
          Walnut Creek, California 94596
          925 935-3380 phone and fax
          mitch@...
          www.LCoastPress.com
        • Ariel L. Szczupak
          Message 4 of 28 , May 1, 2007
            At 07:09 PM 5/1/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
            >[...] So we continue putting together compendia in paper format,
            >which is affordable but rather stupid when everything else is electronic.

            Actual paper? Why not as page images on a CD? Should be at least as
            affordable and probably more convenient for the students. Or as image
            archives for students on university servers. Copyright issues
            shouldn't be any different than a paper compendium of xeroxed texts.

            Ariel.

            ---
            Ariel L. Szczupak
            AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
            POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
            Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
            ane.als@...
          • Ariel L. Szczupak
            Message 5 of 28 , May 1, 2007
              At 08:39 PM 5/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
              >At 07:09 PM 5/1/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
              >>[...] So we continue putting together compendia in paper format,
              >>which is affordable but rather stupid when everything else is electronic.
              >
              >Actual paper? Why not as page images on a CD? Should be at least as
              >affordable and probably more convenient for the students. Or as
              >image archives for students on university servers. Copyright issues
              >shouldn't be any different than a paper compendium of xeroxed texts.

              And are compendia still necessary when a 3M pixel digital camera will
              produce pictures of pages where even tiny footnotes are perfectly readable?

              Ariel.

              ---
              Message 6 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                Well, I am afraid it is. We have made investigations, and the result was: it's the same. Could be a local arrangement, but it is an official system, state sponsored. The moment the material is electronically readable, the mouse trap works.

                Niels Peter Lemche

                Message 7 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                  AS I said, any electronic way of copying a page will lead to same result. Would like to know what people are doing in other countries. Being a state sponsored university, we have to keep to the rules.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  At 08:39 PM 5/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
                  >At 07:09 PM 5/1/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
                  >>[...] So we continue putting together compendia in paper format,
                  >>which is affordable but rather stupid when everything else is electronic.
                  >
                  >Actual paper? Why not as page images on a CD? Should be at least as
                  >affordable and probably more convenient for the students. Or as
                  >image archives for students on university servers. Copyright issues
                  >shouldn't be any different than a paper compendium of xeroxed texts.

                  And are compendia still necessary when a 3M pixel digital camera will
                  produce pictures of pages where even tiny footnotes are perfectly readable?

                  Ariel.

                  ---
                  Ariel L. Szczupak
                  AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
                  POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
                  Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
                  ane.als@...

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Cynthia Edenburg
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                    I work full-time at a state sponsered distance learning institution
                    which has a very limited hard-copy library. Our students are spread
                    across the country, and some study from abroad. Many of the students
                    never visit our physical campus (particularly since we relocated to a
                    site not easily accessable by public transportation). For this reason,
                    our library has invested in electronic collections such as JSTOR and
                    ATLAS as well as Oxford e-books, etc, all of which are accessable to
                    students and staff.
                    All of our published study material includes selected readings from
                    secondary literature, and a good portion of the course development
                    budget goes to purchasing reproduction rights for copyrighted material.
                    Concern over copyright issues are so great that we have been given
                    strict instructions not to upload e-copies of articles or images to any
                    part of the university web site to which there is free access.
                    Cynthia Edenburg
                    The Open University of Israel

                    --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl@...> wrote:

                    > AS I said, any electronic way of copying a page will lead to same
                    result. Would like to know what people are doing in other countries.
                    Being a state sponsored university, we have to keep to the rules.

                    > Niels Peter Lemche

                  • Ariel L. Szczupak
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                      At 07:53 PM 4/28/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
                      >At 02:26 PM 4/28/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
                      >>To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                      >>From: "Ariel L. Szczupak" <ane.als@...>
                      >>Subject: Ak. La'a:tu - swallow? gorge? chew?
                      >
                      >[...]
                      >
                      >>La'a:tu [CAD-L, pp.6-7] is given as "to swallow" (variant of
                      >>"ala:tu"). In BH we have Lamed-Ayin-Tet [Strong 3938] which is more
                      >>"to gorge" than to swallow (regular swallowing being
                      >>Bet-Lamed-Ayin), and we have in later Hebrew (Mishna?)
                      >>Lamed-Ayin-Samech for "to chew".
                      >
                      >Since L(S is not BH, and I didn't recall chewing in the bible, I
                      >searched the English translations for "chew" - and up popped "chew
                      >the cud", using the (LH root (go up, climb, ascend, etc). I've
                      >always thought of "ma'ale gera" (ruminant) as "regurgitating cud",
                      >with the (LH meaning something like "bringing it up from the 1st
                      >stomach back into the mouth". But now, with la'a:tu / ala:tu, I'm
                      >not so sure anymore. Maybe "gera" already implies the regurgitating,
                      >which leaves "ma'ale" as what? Chewing? Reality check anyone?

                      [still talking to myself ...]

                      The "pan Semitic" root of la'a:tu / ala:tu seems to be LW( with a
                      core meaning of thing related to "throat". With "swallow" in BH being
                      BL(, the immediate suspect for its origin is "B-LW(" ("in throat").
                      Is this something historical linguistics can accept as happening, a
                      preposition becoming part of the root? I'm trying to think of other
                      examples but drawing a blank.

                      The basic root for "chew" in Akkadian is KSS (and I think GS.S. too
                      {RS.S. in BH?} but I can't find my note) with a core meaning of "take
                      apart", "divide". BH has it e.g. as MKSH (quota), but it doesn't seem
                      to be attested in BH in relation to eating (though in modern Hebrew
                      it's the verb used for describing chewing the nails). The common root
                      for "chew" became later L(S and I can't find it as a root in the
                      older Semitic languages in my ref books (but they don't cover
                      everything). Where did this L(S come from?

                      Ariel.

                      ---
                      Ariel L. Szczupak
                      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
                      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
                      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
                      ane.als@...
                    • Tomáš Mar(ík
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                        Dear Ariel,

                        did you take a look into the SED (Militarev - Kogan, Semitic
                        Etymological Dictionary. Vol. I. Anatomy of Man and Animals, M�nster
                        2000 [= AOAT 278/1]) where it is listed as No. 176?

                        Tomas Marik
                        tomas.marik@...

                      • Ariel L. Szczupak
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                          At 09:03 PM 5/1/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                          >AS I said, any electronic way of copying a page will lead to same
                          >result. Would like to know what people are doing in other countries.
                          >Being a state sponsored university, we have to keep to the rules.

                          Just to be clear - I wasn't suggesting breaking or bending the rules,
                          just suggesting electronic equivalents. I.e access to electronic
                          compendia on university servers would be dependent on being enrolled
                          in the relevant courses, etc. Something's wrong with the rules if
                          universities of all places have to use outdated technologies.

                          But I do understand that rules can be sometimes absurd - I'm facing
                          such a situation myself just now :(

                          I use dtSearch, a desktop search program that indexes files (like the
                          Google & Copernic desktop search programs, but commercial and more
                          powerful). Three days ago I noticed that it wasn't finding something
                          I expected it to find in CAD-TET. Since the OI PDFs are "secured" I
                          thought it might be a problem. I searched for the same term in Google
                          and Google found it - i.e. the Google web "spider" was able to index that PDF.

                          I contacted dtSearch and was thrown back to the 20th century, which
                          in terms of technology is a long time ago.

                          "Secured" PDFs (those you can't copy to the clipboard from) are
                          encrypted, but that shouldn't have been a problem as PDF reading
                          programs can decrypt them. They can be encrypted using 40-bit keys or
                          128-bit keys. Back in the 20th century the US had strict rules
                          against the export of 128-bit encryption technology and many programs
                          came in two versions - US-domestic and export. These rules were
                          relaxed around 1999 or 2000 (the last version of Internet Explorer
                          for which there were separate domestic and export versions was IE 3.0).

                          Anyone who is using today the Internet Explorer or FireFox web
                          browsers is using 128-bit encryption technology to access secure web
                          pages. Anyone buying Acrobat Professional from Adobe to create PDFs
                          gets 128-bit encryption technology. That's anyone anywhere in the
                          world - anyone who can download these programs. And anyone in the
                          world can get the source code for 128-bit technology, not just the
                          technology itself, from open source projects like Mozilla and OpenOffice.

                          But dtSearch can't get a license from the US Bureau of Export
                          Administration to include 128-bit encryption technology in its
                          program, only 40-bit encryption. Why? Ask them. At the same time
                          there are at least 3 programs that I can buy, from the US, that use
                          128-bit encryption technology to strip the encryption from the PDFs
                          altogether. And why is that? Again, ask them :(

                          I don't want to make the OI PDFs un"secure", just to make finding
                          things in them easier. I'll use the PDFs "as is", following the
                          rules, not only without complaining but happy that I can access these
                          CADs on my computer instead of at the library. But the situation is absurd.

                          [It would be nice though if the OI, when creating these PDFs would
                          use 40-bit encryption instead of 128-bit]

                          Ariel.

                          ---
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 1, 2007
                            At 11:03 PM 5/1/2007, ík <tomas.marik@...> wrote:
                            >Dear Ariel,
                            >
                            >did you take a look into the SED (Militarev - Kogan, Semitic
                            >Etymological Dictionary. Vol. I. Anatomy of Man and Animals, Münster
                            >2000 [= AOAT 278/1])

                            No - because I don't have it. In my next library "field day". Thanks
                            for the ref.

                            >where it is listed as No. 176?

                            "It" being which of the roots I mentioned?

                          • Allan Adler
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 25, 2007
                              I think that, in a recent thread, maybe the one mentioned in the subject
                              line, someone mentioned in passing that his students have to memorize
                              Labat's Manuel. I own Labat's book and wouldn't mind knowing how one
                              goes about memorizing it. To me, it looks overwhelming.
                              --
                              Ignorantly,
                              Allan Adler <ara@...>