April message statistics

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2007
      According to the logs, April generated the following
      message traffic (March numbers in parentheses):

      Total submissions to list
      377 (563)

      Bounced by Yahoo
      27 (20)

      Rejected
      38 (58)

      Posted to list
      312 (485)

      Number of individuals posting
      72 (94)

      Top posters (double figures)

      Peter T. Daniels 35 (11)
      Niels Peter Lemche 21 (3)
      Charles E. Jones 14 (7)
      Jim West 13 (19)
      Ariel L. Szczupak 13 (29)
      Dierk van den Berg 12 (1)
      Robert Whiting 12 (4)
      Yitzhak Sapir 12 (22)
      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
      George F. Somsel 11 (8)

      As of the end of April, there are 795 members (780 at the end of
      March) of which 59 are unmoderated.

      Message traffic this month was lower than in March and in fact than any
      other month so far this year. In checking the logs, I note that, for the
      second year running, the birthday of Benno Landsberger on April 21 has
      gone unremarked.

      Bob Whiting
      for the moderators
    • victor
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2007
        Dear ANE-ers,

        Robert remarks that for the second year running Benno Landsberger's birthday
        on 21 April went unnoticed. I deeply apologize for my negligence. I had been
        accustomed for years to announce this joyous occasion, but felt like Linus
        and the Great Pumpkin or Beethoven's birthday and that the humor was running
        a bit thin. Now that I see it has been missed I can only hope that ina recut
        ilani I will have the great privilege of resuming the custom for SAR years.

        Victor Hurowitz

        BGU Beer Sheva

        _____

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
          According to the logs, May generated the following
          message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

          Total submissions to list
          402 (377)

          Bounced by Yahoo
          36 (27)

          Rejected
          33 (38)

          Posted to list
          333 (312)

          Number of individuals posting
          92 (72)

          Top posters (double figures)

          Jim West 30 (13)
          Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
          Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
          Joe Zias 12 (8)
          Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
          Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
          Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

          As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
          April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

          Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
          slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
          the summer as many people are away from their computers.

          Bob Whiting
          for the moderators
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
            What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
            being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

            --
            Jim West, ThD

          • Trudy Kawami
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
              Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
              Trudy Kawami

              ________________________________

              --
              Jim West, ThD

              http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
              http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
                According to the logs, June generated the following
                message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

                Total submissions to list
                274 (402)

                Bounced by Yahoo
                44 (36)

                Rejected
                33 (33)

                Posted to list
                197 (333)

                Number of individuals posting
                74 (92)

                Top posters (double figures)

                Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
                Jim West 14 (30)
                Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

                As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
                May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
                be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
                vacations and spend less time at their computers

                On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
                of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
                members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
                when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
                registered under.

                I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
                that you can post from more than one email address. To do this, from the
                ANE-2 group's home page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on
                the link "My Groups" near the top at the far right side of the page.
                This will take you to a page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you
                belong. Near the top on the right side of this page you will see a link
                "My Email Preferences". This link will take you to a page that lists all
                the email addresses that are associated with your Yahoo profile. The last
                column in this list is headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the
                row that contains the email address with which you are subscribed to the
                ANE-2 list. This will take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate
                Posting Addresses" for the email address with which you are subscribed.
                After entering the alternate email address(es), do not forget to click
                "Save Changes" before navigating away from the page. If your alternate
                address(es) are not already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the
                address(es) you enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this,
                you should be able to post to the list from any email address that you
                have entered on this page.

                One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
                extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
                with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
                order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
                without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
                link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
                banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
                behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
                turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
                Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
                page.

                Bob Whiting
                for the moderators
              • Robert M Whiting
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
                  According to the logs, July generated the following
                  message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

                  Total submissions to list
                  447 (274)

                  Bounced by Yahoo
                  56 (44)

                  Rejected
                  34 (33)

                  Posted to list
                  357 (197)

                  Number of individuals posting
                  78 (74)

                  Top posters (double figures)

                  Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
                  Jim West 19 (14)
                  David Q. Hall 18 (5)
                  Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
                  Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
                  Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
                  Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
                  Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
                  Frank Polak 10 (1)
                  Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

                  As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
                  June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

                  Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
                  year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
                  month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

                  On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
                  monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
                  it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
                  number of the address lists that spammers use.

                  While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
                  where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
                  the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
                  removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
                  the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
                  extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
                  leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
                  will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
                  given previously:

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 1 1:34 PM
                    According to the logs, August generated the following
                    message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                    Total submissions to list
                    205 (447)

                    Bounced by Yahoo
                    42 (56)

                    Rejected
                    9 (34)

                    Posted to list
                    154 (357)

                    Number of individuals posting
                    62 (78)

                    Top posters (double figures)

                    Jim West 18 (19)

                    As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                    July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                    The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                    August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                    On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                    bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                    messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                    wrong address.

                    Bob Whiting
                    for the moderators
                  • Robert M Whiting
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                      According to the logs, September generated the following
                      message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                      Total submissions to list
                      342 (205)

                      Bounced by Yahoo
                      37 (42)

                      Rejected
                      22 (9)

                      Posted to list
                      283 (154)

                      Number of individuals posting
                      77 (62)

                      Top posters (double figures)

                      Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                      Jim West 15 (18)
                      Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                      Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                      As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                      August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                      Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                      year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                      the summer and the new academic year begins.

                      Bob Whiting
                      for the moderators
                    • Christopher Conlan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                        Bob,

                        Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                        Chris Conlan

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                          On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                          > Bob,
                          >
                          > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                          Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                          have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                          approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                          when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                          has the header:

                          21:01:52 -0000

                          Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                          listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                          posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                          members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                          A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                          the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                          Bob Whiting
                          whiting@...