Re: JSTORation

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
      Would someone be so kind as to forward me the Email that contains the links to
      the OI publication PDFs (origin of the current thread)? I seem to have deleted
      it accidentally.

      Cheers! MFL

      --
      2113 St Paul St., 3rd floor
      Baltimore, MD 21218
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
        The message is question is at:
        ANE-2 archives in general are at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/messages

        -Chuck Jones-

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
          NYPL branches are no different from the main library, transportation-wise, and they don't have any sort of scholarly materials.

          The accessible databases don't seem to include materials above the undergraduate level, and most of them are general-interest rather than research-worthy.

          You call it complaining, I call it warning.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
            Peter Daniels writes:

            > You call it complaining, I call it warning.

            He has a genuine point. As a practical matter, I don't think it affects
            the issue of access to JSTOR, which has been abundantly addressed and is
            not really a problem. There are genuine problems of access by independent
            scholars to scholarly materials and of maintaining the quality of libraries.
            JSTOR definitely makes life easier for this independent scholar. Whatever
            problems are caused by its limitations would be much worse if JSTOR were
            not available. Recognition of that fact does not make the problems caused
            by the omission of many journals from JSTOR go away; it only signifies
            that we have to keep trying to increase access to scholar materials. The
            only real problem I have with having libraries subscribe to electronic
            databases of articles and books is what happens when they decide to let
            their subscriptions lapse. Formerly, when a library cancelled its subscription
            to a journal, it could retain the journals it had already received, but
            when a library cancels its subscriptions to an electronic database, it
            has nothing to show for having had the subscription.

            The review journal Mathematical Reviews had, I think, a policy that
            encouraged libraries to get both the printed version and the power
            Math-Sci database derived from it. That at least left the libraries
            with the journals when they decided to cancel subscription to the
            database. The mathsci database costs a couple of thousand for an
            annual subscription when I last checked a few years ago. It's an easy
            item not to be able to afford when a library's budget shrinks. It
            is available freely from the online terminals at the Science, Industry
            and Business library in NYPL, by appointment, appointments being rather brief,
            but unlike the databases such as JSTOR, it can't be accessed online by people
            with NYPL cards, not even if they have access cards to the research libraries.

            So, there are genuine problems and Peter Daniels is right to insist on
            the fact that they exist. However, JSTOR is not in itself a problem.
            It is part of the solution.
            --
            Ignorantly,
            Allan Adler <ara@...>