Re: [ANE-2] JSTORation

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
      >Note that access to JSTOR is out of the reach of independent scholars who do not have access to a scholarly library (I am
      >alumnus of two universities, and I am not located near either one; the New York Public Library, an hour and a half away, has an
      >immensely cumbersome and expensive printout system for getting a copy of an article).

      Well, it looks as though JSTOR is accessible in all 81 Branch Libraries as well as the 5 central libraries of the NYPL, so you may in
      fact not have to go all the way down there.

      In addition, they seem to be providing access to you from your home, simply by having you type your NYPL card number into a
      form, to a wide variety of databases (though evidently not JSTOR - but EBSCOHOST parallels a lot of the same material for recent
      volumes), some of which include journals which are of historical interest to you.

      http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&j=home
      http://tm9qt7lg9g.search.serialssolutions.com/

      Also, you aren't REQUIRED to use online resources if you don't want to. You also aren't REQUIRED to complain about them.

      -Chuck Jones-
    • Michael F. Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
        Would someone be so kind as to forward me the Email that contains the links to
        the OI publication PDFs (origin of the current thread)? I seem to have deleted
        it accidentally.

        Cheers! MFL

        --
        2113 St Paul St., 3rd floor
        Baltimore, MD 21218
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
          The message is question is at:
          ANE-2 archives in general are at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/messages

          -Chuck Jones-

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
            NYPL branches are no different from the main library, transportation-wise, and they don't have any sort of scholarly materials.

            The accessible databases don't seem to include materials above the undergraduate level, and most of them are general-interest rather than research-worthy.

            You call it complaining, I call it warning.

            >Note that access to JSTOR is out of the reach of independent scholars who do not have access to a scholarly library (I am
            >alumnus of two universities, and I am not located near either one; the New York Public Library, an hour and a half away, has an
            >immensely cumbersome and expensive printout system for getting a copy of an article).

            Well, it looks as though JSTOR is accessible in all 81 Branch Libraries as well as the 5 central libraries of the NYPL, so you may in
            fact not have to go all the way down there.

            In addition, they seem to be providing access to you from your home, simply by having you type your NYPL card number into a
            form, to a wide variety of databases (though evidently not JSTOR - but EBSCOHOST parallels a lot of the same material for recent
            volumes), some of which include journals which are of historical interest to you.

            http://www.nypl. org/databases/ index.cfm? act=2&j=home
            http://tm9qt7lg9g. search.serialsso lutions.com/

            Also, you aren't REQUIRED to use online resources if you don't want to. You also aren't REQUIRED to complain about them.
          • Allan Adler
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
              Peter Daniels writes:

              > You call it complaining, I call it warning.

              He has a genuine point. As a practical matter, I don't think it affects
              the issue of access to JSTOR, which has been abundantly addressed and is
              not really a problem. There are genuine problems of access by independent
              scholars to scholarly materials and of maintaining the quality of libraries.
              JSTOR definitely makes life easier for this independent scholar. Whatever
              problems are caused by its limitations would be much worse if JSTOR were
              not available. Recognition of that fact does not make the problems caused
              by the omission of many journals from JSTOR go away; it only signifies
              that we have to keep trying to increase access to scholar materials. The
              only real problem I have with having libraries subscribe to electronic
              databases of articles and books is what happens when they decide to let
              their subscriptions lapse. Formerly, when a library cancelled its subscription
              to a journal, it could retain the journals it had already received, but
              when a library cancels its subscriptions to an electronic database, it
              has nothing to show for having had the subscription.

              The review journal Mathematical Reviews had, I think, a policy that
              encouraged libraries to get both the printed version and the power
              Math-Sci database derived from it. That at least left the libraries
              with the journals when they decided to cancel subscription to the
              database. The mathsci database costs a couple of thousand for an
              annual subscription when I last checked a few years ago. It's an easy
              item not to be able to afford when a library's budget shrinks. It
              is available freely from the online terminals at the Science, Industry
              and Business library in NYPL, by appointment, appointments being rather brief,
              but unlike the databases such as JSTOR, it can't be accessed online by people
              with NYPL cards, not even if they have access cards to the research libraries.

              So, there are genuine problems and Peter Daniels is right to insist on
              the fact that they exist. However, JSTOR is not in itself a problem.
              It is part of the solution.
              --
              Ignorantly,
              Allan Adler <ara@...>