Ebla and other sites

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Dear all,

      The following two sentences are quoted from another list:

      > Ebla or Tel-Mardik has not seen any reports, let alone a final
      > report, since the late 1980's (if I remember correctly?). Now, I do
      > understand that politics, Syrian, is also involved.

      I am interested in how accurate the above statement is, and am
      also curious regarding how well is the Ebla archive now published?
      I see there is a series "Materiali Epigrafici di Ebla" so I guess that
      would be the place to look for the publications of the archive, but
      how much of the archive has so far been published? Also, I am
      curious regarding the field reports and archives from other related
      Syrian/Turkish archive sites such as Alalakh, Emar, and Mari.

      Thanks to anyone who can help.
      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Rafal Kolinski
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        Dear Yitzhak,
        I can't say for Ebla, but here you are in respect of other sites:
        MARI
        Presargonic texts (42 tablets and fragments published):
        D. Charpin, Textes presargoniques de Mari, M.A.R.I. 5, Paris 1987, pp. 65-127; M.A.R.I. 6, Paris 1990, 245-252.
        Sakkannaku period (two tablets, a number of royal inscriptions and seal legends):
        J.-M.Durand, La situation historiquede sakkannaku: novelle aproche, M.A.R.I. 4, Paris 1985, 147-172 (summarized in J.-Cl. Margueron, Mari, Metropole de l'Euphrate au IIIe et au debut du IIe millenaire av. J.-C., Paris 2004, pp. 325-335.
        B. Lafont, Les deux tablettes neo-sumeriennes de Mari, M.A.R.I. 5, Paris 1987, pp. 626-27
        Old Bbylonian period (so called "assyrian interregnum" included):
        Archives Royales de Mari, Paris 1950-, vols. I-XIV, XVIII-XIX, XXI-XXVIII, XXXI, (around 7 000 tablets of variuos content) [N.B. vols. XV, XVI and XVII contain indexes).
        A considerable number of texts has been published in various contributions to M.A.R.I. and Florilegium marianum series, as well in a number of dispersed papers.
        Nearly 1200 texts were presented in new translation by J.-M. Durand in Documentes epistolaires du palais de Mari t. 1-3, Paris 1997-2003 (LAPO 16-18), and nearly all texts published in ARM XXVI/1, XXVI/2 and XXVII were translated to English by W. Heimpel (Letters to the King of Mari, Winona Lake 2003).

        ALALAKH
        Most tablets were published by Donald J, Wismen, The Alalakh Tablets, London 1953 with supplementary copies in JCS 8, (1954) and more texts by the same author in JSC 13, 1959.
        Tablets from level VII were recently studied in a series of papers by F. Zeeb, published in "Ugaritische Forschungen" vols. 23, 24, 25 and 30.

        EMAR
        The texts from French ecavations:
        D. Arnaud, Emar VI: Textes sumeriens et accadiens, vol. 1-4, Paris 1985-87. (about 1000 tablets, duplicates included)
        Hittite texts and hurrite texts (vols. V and VII of the planned final publiction) have been not published yet (for short summary, cf. E. Laroche, in: D. Beyer, A l'occasion d'une exposition, Meskene-Emar: dix ans de travaux 1972-1982, (Paris 1982) 53-60.
        For dispersed texts from illicit excavations, which most likely come from Emar cf.
        D. Arnaud, Textes syriennes de l'age du bronze recent, Barcelona 1991;
        G. Beckman, Texts from the Vicinity of Emar in the Collection of Johnatan Rosen, Padova 1996;
        J. Goodnick-Westenholz, Cuneiform Inscriptions in the Collection of the Bible Lands Museum, Jerusalem, Groningen 2000,
        (for a full list, cf. M. Adamthwaite, Late Hittite Emar, Louvain 2001:xvi-xviii)

        Season Greetings to all the list-members
        Rafal Kolinski

        dr Rafal Kolinski
        Institute of Prehistory
        Adam Mickiewicz University of Poznan