Chicago Tribune article on "Oldest Song Ever"

  • Tim Cashion
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      Saturday's Chicago Tribune has an article about the North American "premiere" of the Hurrian "Prayer of an Infertile Woman" as Theo J. H. Krispijn of Leiden has researched it. The article includes video and audio of Krispijn's performance, and is most easily accessed at the following link:

      http://www-news.uchicago.edu/citations/07/070402.oldsong-ct.html

      Tim Cashion
      Montreal, PQ
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        What's the relation between this World's Oldest Song and the one reconstructed by a Berkeley(? -- Ann Kilmer was involved) team nearly thirty years ago, which Frances G��terbock would sing at the drop of a hat?

        Saturday's Chicago Tribune has an article about the North American "premiere" of the Hurrian "Prayer of an Infertile Woman" as Theo J. H. Krispijn of Leiden has researched it. The article includes video and audio of Krispijn's performance, and is most easily accessed at the following link:

        http://www-news. uchicago. edu/citations/ 07/070402. oldsong-ct. html
      • Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
          I was wondering that, too. It was Anne Kilmer, Richard Crocker, and Robert Brown. The latter built the large Sumerian harp replica (Crocker sings the Hurrian hymn to its accompaniment) and the smaller Canaanite harp replica (with which Kilmer sings). The album (vinyl!) with accompanying explanatory booklet is called "Sounds From Silence." I've got a copy. It's quite eerie, reminiscent of old Roman chant, the pre-Gregorian stuff.

          It looks like it's still available from this online store, along with some other interesting ancient musicy stuff:
          http://www.bellaromamusic.com/store.html

          Regards,
          Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Berkeley, California