Re: [ANE-2] Re: Japhia and Nazareth

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 2, 2007
      I suppose you would apply the same logic (??) to the case of Chorazin which is condemned by Jesus in Mt 11.21-22. Josephus makes no mention of the town. While remains have been excavated, nothing points to a date prior to the 1st c. AD.

      The new excavations in 1980 uncovered remains of the earliest phases of occupation, of the 1st and 2nd centuries ad. It was also established that some of the buildings which reused earlier architectural stones date to the 12th and 13th century ad, and not earlier, as was previously thought. This also applies to the two public buildings near the synagogue, which were in continuous use from the late 3rd-early 4th to the 13th century ad. Four trial pits were made in the area of the synagogue. The building was apparently repaired during the course of the 6th century ad. Near the main entrance to the prayer hall was found a hoard of about 1000 coins, most of them of the late 6th-early 7th century ad. Trial pits were also dug inside the synagogue. In its earliest phase it was paved with stone slabs laid on a layer of earth above virgin rock. The stone benches also belong to this early phase. In a later phase the stone pavement was replaced by a plastered floor. The benches were
      repaired with small uncut stones. Underneath the stone pavement were two early 4th century ad coins, which assist in dating the construction of the synagogue to the late 3rd-early 4th century ad

      Negev, A. (1996, c1990). The Archaeological encyclopedia of the Holy Land (3rd ed.). New York: Prentice Hall Press.

      What is the reason for the invention of this town in Matthew? Even more puzzling, why would Jewish refugees from the 2nd revolt name a town Nazareth in keeping with Christian tradition?

      george
      gfsomsel
      _________

      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 10, 2007
        Beatrice,

        There are a number of ethnographical studies of pottery that were published in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, primarily in AA. I think some of these appear in Kramer's "Ceramic Ethnoarchaeology" in Annual Review of Anthropology 1985. Mostly this was American, but the idea is that because of frequent use and because of frequent thermal shock that cooking vessels have a life-span in the range of months not years. Amphorae are at the other end of the scale in years if not decades. Oh yes, see Longacre's article in Decoding Prehistoric Ceramics and references there.

        I hope this helps.
        Jeff