Re: [ANE-2] Umm el-Marra inscribed cylinders

  • B.E.Colless
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007

      http://www.jhu.edu/neareast/uem/
      > which might be helpful.
      >
      > Beatrice Hopkinson

      My sincere thanks, Bea

      So, Umm el-Marra is on the Jabbul plain, east of Aleppo and Alalakh,
      north-east of Ebla and Ugarit, north-west of Emar (on the Euphrates), and
      very distant from Gubla/Byblos.

      I now have the precise source for the pictures of these "perforated clay
      cylinders with written (?) symbols from Tomb 4, upper level".

      http://www.jhu.edu/neareast/uem/page3.html

      There are at least 6 tombs in a necropolis on the acropolis of the city,
      dated 2500-2300 BCE.

      Tomb 1 is dated c. 2300 (pottery = Ebla palace finds)
      5, 6: c.2500 BCE
      2, 3, 4: no date suggested

      If these objects are amulets for the male personage in the tomb, then my
      suggested readings (made on the basis of no context whatsoever) now sound
      quite attractive:
      NUSHI`U "saved"
      NIKAWANA "he is established"

      My gratitude is also expressed here to Judith Weingarten who first informed
      me about these important objects.

      The good thing about blogs is that the essays can be corrected and expanded,
      and I must do that tomorrow.

      But are there any other additions or corrections I should consider?

      Brian Colless
      Massey University, NZ