Umm el-Marra

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
      Brian,

      I've been asked to forward this web site on Umm el-Marra:
      http://www.jhu.edu/neareast/uem/
      which might be helpful.

      Beatrice Hopkinson

      >Eliot wrote:
      >
      ><< Palestine and southern Israel ... I don't think so'. One hoard in both
      >places? >>
      >
      >I don't see your problem with this. Palestine and Israel cover very much the
      >same territory and a place may have been in one at some times and in the
      >other at other times over the last 3000-4000 years.
      >
      >And the 'advert' did not say when the hoard was legally exported.
      >
      >You may be reading too much into the advert, or it might just be a load of
      >fakes as you suggest.
      >
      >Brian

    • B.E.Colless
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 7:34 AM
        > From: Beatrice Hopkinson <beahopkinson@...>
        > Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:12:33 -0700
        > To: <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [ANE-2] Umm el-Marra
        >
        > Brian,
        >
        > I've been asked to forward this web site on Umm el-Marra:
        http://www.jhu.edu/neareast/uem/
        > which might be helpful.
        >
        > Beatrice Hopkinson

        My sincere thanks, Bea

        So, Umm el-Marra is on the Jabbul plain, east of Aleppo and Alalakh,
        north-east of Ebla and Ugarit, north-west of Emar (on the Euphrates), and
        very distant from Gubla/Byblos.

        I now have the precise source for the pictures of these "perforated clay
        cylinders with written (?) symbols from Tomb 4, upper level".

        http://www.jhu.edu/neareast/uem/page3.html

        There are at least 6 tombs in a necropolis on the acropolis of the city,
        dated 2500-2300 BCE.

        Tomb 1 is dated c. 2300 (pottery = Ebla palace finds)
        5, 6: c.2500 BCE
        2, 3, 4: no date suggested

        If these objects are amulets for the male personage in the tomb, then my
        suggested readings (made on the basis of no context whatsoever) now sound
        quite attractive:
        NUSHI`U "saved"
        NIKAWANA "he is established"

        My gratitude is also expressed here to Judith Weingarten who first informed
        me about these important objects.

        The good thing about blogs is that the essays can be corrected and expanded,
        and I must do that tomorrow.

        But are there any other additions or corrections I should consider?

        Brian Colless
        Massey University, NZ