Re: [ANE-2] Iron II Wall in Jerusalem: Was First Temple Wall, and terminology

  • Eliot Braun
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      I admit to not having seen the wall in question, nor did I mean to imply that I know of its date. I leave that to the capable expertise of the excavtor, Elat Mazar. I merely wished to remark that the title given to the thread 'First Temple Wall' is terribly misleading. The wall in question is apparently massive, but I've not seen it (mea maxima culpa and shame on me but I'm busy working) and. I don't know anything of its date, except by what the ANE list has secondarily passed on from a secondary source, apparently the Jerusalem Post. I also know nothing of its function.

      I merely wished to note that the wall has nothing to do directly with the temple. The wall is located on the Ophel Hill, well away, south of the present Haram es-Sharif, believed to be the precinct of the temple (1st and 2nd and any later editions). Please, list members, do not quote me on what the wall is or isn't beyond that.

      I do have a problem with some people's habits of dating things to the 'First Temple Period' or the 'Second Temple Period'. Its merely because the terms are very parochial and quite imprecise.

      If you accept that Solomon built the first temple and that it was destroyed ca 586 BCE, then you have quite a long period of more than 300 years that relates to the 1st temple. The 2nd Temple is another matter; it was supposedly rebuilt in the Persian period, restored somewhat by the Hasmoneans, and completely rebuilt by Herod and then destroyed 70 CE. Thus the term is also very imprecise from a chronological point of view.

      Nevertheless, these terms are used by mostof us here in Israel , but really mostly in parlance. If we wish to be more accurate then perhaps more general terms are accepteable, Herodian is not too bad. Hasmonean or Hellenistic are also good terms. Early Hellenistic, Late Hellenistic, Early Roman, Late Roman are more historical and more universal terms and can be related to fairly specific dates. They are less value loaded also, which is something I prefer. Iron I, Iron II etc. are somewhat more in keeping with my ideas on archaeology.

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      Ha-oren 12, Har Adar, Israel 90836
      Tel. 972-2-5345687