Iron II Wall in Jerusalem: Was First Temple Wall and Hyperbole

  • Doug Petrovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      Dear Eliot and Yitzhak,

      For some reason, I did not receive Eliot's post, only the part of it quoted by Yitzhak. From the JP article, it seems as though a city wall is being implied, as a 7-m-thick wall does not seem necessary even for the greatest of rulers. Eliot's comment that it is located downhill seems to confirm this.

      I certainly would love to see a picture or two, if not just a drawing of where it is in relation to the eastern slope of the Ophel. Certainly if it is located at the base of the hill, this would be Manasseh's wall that Reich and Shukron found. And if it is high up on the hill, it would be the wall that Kenyon discovered and attributed to Nehemiah.

      Between those two locations, the sky is certainly the limit, though the options just take us back further in time than either of those two walls. I am curious what would make Mazar assign it to the First Temple, and what would make Yitzhak and Eliot--if I understand them correctly--assign it to Iron II/Second Temple.

      Doug Petrovich
      Novosibirsk, Russia