RE: [ANE-2] appalling sale of antiquities

  • Brian Yare
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
      Eliot wrote:

      << Palestine and southern Israel ... I don't think so'. One hoard in both
      places? >>

      I don't see your problem with this. Palestine and Israel cover very much the
      same territory and a place may have been in one at some times and in the
      other at other times over the last 3000-4000 years.

      And the 'advert' did not say when the hoard was legally exported.

      You may be reading too much into the advert, or it might just be a load of
      fakes as you suggest.

      Brian
    • Eliot Braun
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
        Dear Brian Yare,
        I don't know you nor know of your background but I can only wonder that you are unaware of 'my problem' My problem is that I'm a dirt archaeologist who is appalled that someone, sometime (anytime) looted these precious antiqutities (if they are real, which I hope they aren't) and removed them from the context of their find spots, thuse destroying most of the information they could have imparted to such as I, who are thirsty for knowledge of mankind's past.

        That in a nutshell is 'my problem'. I'm nonplussed that you don't have a problem with that and that you should be so non-understanding.

        Eliot Braun