James again-Patinas, Foster Families and Adoption

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2007
      In order to prove that the surface changes on the patina from the James Ossuary, the BAR Crowd instituted their own tests some years ago, which according to their test results published in BAR (no peer review, other than that of HS) showed that the ossuary had been cleaned with a solvent which apparently altered the patina, i.e. it 'disappeared' in some places or looked rather strange in other. They had submitted some samples to a US lab and then compared the results to solvents which are on the mkt today in Israel. Voila, the tests showed that the ossuary had indeed been cleaned apparently by the owners mother ca 1990 with a product called Javelin. Suspecting that something was 'fishy' as there was a lot of money riding on this I called the mfg. and the product was not on the mkt until years later. So, much for patinas, if the CSI lab is running some tests I suggest that all samples be sprayed with Javelin so as to insure that we are dealing with the same thing.
      As for the switch from Silwan to Talpiot, remember there were always 'foster families' in antiquity due to the high death rates, in time he then was 'adopted' ca 2006. Probably tax reasons. Know what you are dealing with.

      Joe Zias

      Joe Zias