Re: [ANE-2] Re: ANE LIST: PETRIE PALESTINE EXHIBITION

  • Jan Picton
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
      Dear Phil

      I don't know if the Brunei Gallery bookshop do mail order but I think
      they do. Otherwise you might want to contact Dr Rachael Sparks (Curator)
      at the Institute of Archaeology as I know she has copies to sell. I have
      a copy of the book and it's very informative with full colour pics of
      all the objects, and some good essays. I will ask Rachael if it's OK to
      publish her email address on the list.

      Regards
      Jan Picton

      In message <eski1n+oa6v@...>, Phil Jones <philngabi@...>
      writes

      >Jan,
      >
      >Is there a book that will come out of the exhibit? If so, how would
      >one get a copy?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Phil Jones, Antiquarian
      >PBJI
    • Phil Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
        Dear Jan,

        My private email is philngabi@.... I welcome anyone to contact me
        at any time to speak to me about thoughts they have on the ANE. Worst
        case, I don't know and will have to refer you to someone else.

        If she's not happy to publish it online, please do refer me in
        private. I would be interested in a copy.

        With regards,

        Phil Jones, Antiquarian
        PBJI

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jan Picton <janpicton@...> wrote:

        > Dear Phil
        >
        > I don't know if the Brunei Gallery bookshop do mail order but I
        think
        > they do. Otherwise you might want to contact Dr Rachael Sparks
        (Curator)
        > at the Institute of Archaeology as I know she has copies to sell. I
        have
        > a copy of the book and it's very informative with full colour pics
        of
        > all the objects, and some good essays. I will ask Rachael if it's
        OK to
        > publish her email address on the list.
        >
        > Regards
        > Jan Picton
        >

        > In message <eski1n+oa6v@...>, Phil Jones <philngabi@...>
        > writes
        > >
        > >Jan,
        > >
        > >Is there a book that will come out of the exhibit? If so, how would
        > >one get a copy?
        > >
        > >Thanks,
        > >
        > >Phil Jones, Antiquarian
        > >PBJI

      • Phil Jones
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
          Thank you John for your thoughts.

          It is appreciated.

          Regards,

          Phil Jones, Antiquarina
          PBJI

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "John Wall" <john_j_wall@...> wrote:

          > According to this:
          >
          > http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/palestine/home.html
          >
          > "An illustrated catalogue is available from the Brunei Gallery
          Bookshop
          > priced £20."
          >
          > I attended an excellent lecture by Dr Sparks and I've seen the
          exhibition -
          > first rate - but I haven't got the book.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > John Wall
          > Omni oratio nil labor
          >

          > From: "Phil Jones" <philngabi@...>
          > > Jan,
          > >
          > > Is there a book that will come out of the exhibit? If so, how
          would
          > > one get a copy?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Phil Jones, Antiquarian
          > > PBJI
          > >
          > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jan Picton <janpicton@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Apologies for any multiple postings but don't miss this
          exhibition
          > > which
          > >> closes on March 24th.
          > >>
          > >> A FUTURE FOR THE PAST: PETRIE'S PALESTINIAN COLLECTION
          > >> An Exhibition staged by UCL at the Brunei Gallery, SOAS
          Exhibition
> [...]
          > > Palestine,
          > >> and its deep, rich heritage.
          > >>
          > >> The exhibition highlights the extraordinary finds made by the
          > >> archaeologist Sir Flinders Petrie, who taught at UCL and spent
          many
          > >> years working in the area around modern Gaza in the 1920s and
          > > 1930s.The
          > >> sites he dug are now divided between the modern states of Israel
          > > and the
          > >> Palestinian Authority. They include major towns and trading
          centres
          > >> which flourished over 5000 years ago. He found beautiful pottery
          > > and
          > >> jewellery and a huge variety of tools. This is the first time
          that
          > > many
          > >> of these unique artefacts - housed in UCL's Institute of
          > > Archaeology -
          > >> have been on public display.
          > >>
          > >> But the exhibition is much more than a showcase for remarkable
          > >> artefacts. It draws on the letters, notebooks and photographs
          kept
          > > by
          > >> Petrie and his colleagues. These help recreate what daily life
          was
          > > like
          > >> for the European archaeologists and for the Palestinian men,
          women
          > > and
          > >> children who worked on these excavations in the 1930s. Visitors
          can
          > > see
          > >> into a 'dig house', explore a trench and sit inside a Bedouin
          tent
          > >> watch a short film about life on the dig. Special interactive
          areas
          > >> allow visitors to explore what archaeology can - and cannot -
          tell
          > > us.
          > >>
          > >> The exhibition aims to be a positive force for change. An
          > > understanding
          > >> of the past should lead to dialogue, tolerance and the courage to
          > > take a
          > >> long term view.
          > >>
          > >> EVENTS PROGRAMME
          > >> All events are free and there is no need to book
          > >>
          > >> Thursday 8 March 1pm- 1.30pm
          > >> Gallery talk and tour of the exhibition Dr Rachael Sparks,
          > > exhibition
          > >> curator
          > >>
          > >> Saturday 17 March 2pm-4pm
          > >> Family storytelling event: Tales from the Dig Our storyteller
          will
          > > take
          > >> you back to Petrie's Palestine
          > >>
          > >> Thursday 22 March 1pm- 1.30pm
          > >> Gallery talk and tour of the exhibition Dr Rachael Sparks,
          > > exhibition
          > >> curator
          > >>
          > >> --
          > >> Jan Picton
          > >> H.R.A. Institute of Archaeology, UCL. j.picton@
          > >> Sessional lecturer, Egypt and the Ancient Near East

        • Jan Picton
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
            Further to the question about availability of the Petrie Palestine
            exhibition catalogue. I am told that the following book dealers stock
            the book. I would suggest anyone interested get in touch with one of the
            following:

            1. The SOAS bookshop:
            bookshop@...

            SOAS Bookshop,
            Brunei Gallery,
            School of Oriental and African Studies,
            Thornhaugh Street
            Russell Square
            London,WC1H 0XG.

            2. Archetype press: info@...

            3. The Museum Bookshop:

            shirley@...
            website: www.museumbooks.demon.co.uk

            MUSEUM BOOKS
            PO Box 852,
            Enfield, UK,
            EN2 7XU

            They are all currently stocking it and should be able to deal with
            different methods of payment. There is a special price of £20, valid
            while the exhibition is still running. This will end on March 24th, and
            after that the volume will cost £25.

            --
            Jan Picton
            Secretary, Friends of the Petrie Museum (Tel: 07761 823129)
            Home email: janpicton@.... Fax: 0870 164 1855