Enraged Scholars

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      Not to be missed is this essay in Scientific American

      http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?title=says_scholar_whose_work_was_used_in_the_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&ref=rss

      Thanks to Stephen Goranson on Crosstalk for the heads up.

      Jim West, ThD

    • Gary Greenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        To appreciate how truly worthless, irresponsible, and phony the alleged
        600:1 statistic is for the so-called Jesus family tomb,, I recommend that
        you look at these two essays. One is by a mathematician who examined the
        published basis for that statistic and found it to be based on false
        assumptions that give false conclusions, and has challenged the author of
        the study to publicly release the source material he used to arrive at the
        decision. The other by a New Testament scholar who shows some of the
        erroneous methodology used to arrive at the conclusion and why the
        statistical model is no good.

        http://ntgateway.com/weblog/2007/03/correct-interpretation-of-dr-andrey.html

        http://ntgateway.com/weblog/2007/03/statistical-case-for-identity-of-jesus.html

        Gary Greenberg
        www.bibleandhistory.com
        www.biblemyth.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2007
          Regarding the SciAm article and more particulary the 12 (at the time I looked) "Comments," I am astounded that the main response appears to be from self-styled "atheists" who seem to think that the attacks on the announcement and the movie are motivated by "evangelicals" who are upset that the supposed "Jesus tomb" throws doubt on the Resurrection.

          Did they not bother to read the SciAm commentary they're commenting on? Or is any NT scholar assumed to be an "evangelical"? Let alone any competent statistician?

          In the excessive coverage of Cameron's announcement (which I'm ashamed the New York Public Library lent its prestige to) on NPR and AirAmerica, absolutely nothing has been said about "evangelical" reaction.

          And I don't get the impression that Simcha whats-his-name did all this for the purpose of debunking Christianity! (Did he?)