RE: [ANE-2] Mesha Stele

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
      Dear Bill,

      I assume that there was a temple to YHWH that was destroyed and the objects
      in it confiscated and brought to Kemosh. This is the usual practice in
      antiquity, wars involved attacking the shrines of the enemy's gods and
      removing the gods and the cultic objects. What is interesting here is that
      no other cultic object is mentioned, thus even in the 9th century YHWH was
      aniconic. Mesha could only remove the vessels. We see this also in the
      reliefs of Lachish at Nineveh. Assyrian soldiers are shown removing incense
      altars from Lachish. Again, there is no statue of the god, so that these
      large incense altars must suffice to represent YHWH's location. I recall
      from the Mesha inscription the term "fire altars" perhaps from Lemaire's
      translation (I don't have it in front of me now.) These "fire altars" may be
      the same objects that are shown being removed from the sanctuary at Lachish.

      In any case, vessels of YHWH would be vessels used in the cult of YHWH.
      Evidently the tribe of Gad had built a shrine to YHWH in their territory.
      Such a shrine in Transjordan is referred to in Joshua 22:10.

      All the best,

      Liz Fried

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...> wrote:

        These "fire altars" may be
        > the same objects that are shown being removed from the sanctuary at
        Lachish.

        > Liz Fried

        "fire-hearth" is used in this translation:

        http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/mesha.html

        Lars Wilson
      • William D. Tallman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
          On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:45:21AM -0500, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
          > Dear Bill,
          >
          > I assume that there was a temple to YHWH that was destroyed and the objects
          > in it confiscated and brought to Kemosh. This is the usual practice in
          <snip>

          Thanks for this response!

          Best,

          Bill Tallman