February message statistics

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2007
      According to the logs, February generated the following
      message traffic (January numbers in parentheses):

      Total submissions to list
      428 (544)

      Bounced by Yahoo
      28 (33)

      Rejected
      48 (27)

      Posted to list
      352 (484)

      Number of individuals posting
      82 (98)

      Top posters (double figures)

      Niels Peter Lemche 28 (37)
      Ariel L. Szczupak 24 (14)
      Eliot Braun 20 (10)
      Andrew Fincke 20 (35)
      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 18 (20)
      George F. Somsel 16 (26)
      Charles E. Jones 14 (13)
      Jim West 10 (8)
      Yitzhak Sapir 10 (16)

      As of the end of February, there are 763 members (752 at the end of
      January) of which 56 are unmoderated.

      Message traffic this month was lower than in January, but the month was
      three days shorter (there were also a significantly higher percentage of
      rejected posts than in the past). The one-year anniversary of the ANE-2
      list passed on February 15 without much fanfare. This is in keeping with
      the list's format as a fact- and evidence-based forum for scholarly
      discussion.

      I have noticed in the logs that a number of members have had messages
      bounced by Yahoo when they tried to post from an address other than the
      one at which they are registered. I have also noticed that some members
      change their address when they want to post. Neither of these is
      necessary since it is possible to set your account so that you can post
      from more than one email address. To do this, from the ANE-2 group's home
      page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on the link "My Groups"
      near the top at the far right side of the page. This will take you to a
      page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you belong. Near the top on the
      right side of this page you will see a link "My Email Preferences". This
      link will take you to a page that lists all the email addresses that are
      associated with your Yahoo profile. The last column in this list is
      headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the row that contains the
      email address with which you are subscribed to the ANE-2 list. This will
      take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate Posting Addresses" for
      the email address with which you are subscribed. After entering the
      alternate email address(es), do not forget to click "Save Changes" before
      navigating away from the page. If your alternate address(es) are not
      already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the address(es) you
      enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this, you should be
      able to post to the list from any email address that you have entered on
      this page.

      Bob Whiting
      for the moderators
    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
        According to the logs, March generated the following
        message traffic (February numbers in parentheses):

        Total submissions to list
        563 (428)

        Bounced by Yahoo
        20 (28)

        Rejected
        58 (48)

        Posted to list
        485 (352)

        Number of individuals posting
        94 (82)

        Top posters (double figures)

        James D. Tabor 68 (0)
        Joe Zias 40 (9)
        Ariel L. Szczupak 29 (24)
        Doug Weller 24 (4)
        Yitzhak Sapir 22 (10)
        Jim West 19 (10)
        Jeffrey B. Gibson 18 (9)
        Eliot Braun 17 (20)
        Rene J. Salm 14 (0)
        Stephen Goranson 11 (4)
        Peter T. Daniels 11 (9)
        David Q. Hall 11 (0)
        Greg Doudna 10 (0)

        As of the end of March, there are 780 members (763 at the end of
        February) of which 59 are unmoderated.

        Message traffic this month was higher than in February and nearly
        identical to that of January. There were, however, a significantly higher
        percentage of rejected posts than in January. We attribute this to the
        nature of the main discussion of the month, which seems to have called
        forth a number of emotional responses to various positions. We have
        strived to maintain the list as a fact- and evidence-based forum for
        scholarly discussion and we trust that those who use the forum understand
        and accept this.

        Bob Whiting
        for the moderators
      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1, 2007
          According to the logs, April generated the following
          message traffic (March numbers in parentheses):

          Total submissions to list
          377 (563)

          Bounced by Yahoo
          27 (20)

          Rejected
          38 (58)

          Posted to list
          312 (485)

          Number of individuals posting
          72 (94)

          Top posters (double figures)

          Peter T. Daniels 35 (11)
          Niels Peter Lemche 21 (3)
          Charles E. Jones 14 (7)
          Jim West 13 (19)
          Ariel L. Szczupak 13 (29)
          Dierk van den Berg 12 (1)
          Robert Whiting 12 (4)
          Yitzhak Sapir 12 (22)
          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
          George F. Somsel 11 (8)

          As of the end of April, there are 795 members (780 at the end of
          March) of which 59 are unmoderated.

          Message traffic this month was lower than in March and in fact than any
          other month so far this year. In checking the logs, I note that, for the
          second year running, the birthday of Benno Landsberger on April 21 has
          gone unremarked.

          Bob Whiting
          for the moderators
        • victor
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2007
            Dear ANE-ers,

            Robert remarks that for the second year running Benno Landsberger's birthday
            on 21 April went unnoticed. I deeply apologize for my negligence. I had been
            accustomed for years to announce this joyous occasion, but felt like Linus
            and the Great Pumpkin or Beethoven's birthday and that the humor was running
            a bit thin. Now that I see it has been missed I can only hope that ina recut
            ilani I will have the great privilege of resuming the custom for SAR years.

            Victor Hurowitz

            BGU Beer Sheva

            _____

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
              According to the logs, May generated the following
              message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

              Total submissions to list
              402 (377)

              Bounced by Yahoo
              36 (27)

              Rejected
              33 (38)

              Posted to list
              333 (312)

              Number of individuals posting
              92 (72)

              Top posters (double figures)

              Jim West 30 (13)
              Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
              Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
              Joe Zias 12 (8)
              Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
              Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
              Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
              Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

              As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
              April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

              Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
              slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
              the summer as many people are away from their computers.

              Bob Whiting
              for the moderators
            • Jim West
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
                being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

                --
                Jim West, ThD

              • Trudy Kawami
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
                  Trudy Kawami

                  ________________________________

                  --
                  Jim West, ThD

                  http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
                  http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

                • Robert M Whiting
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
                    According to the logs, June generated the following
                    message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

                    Total submissions to list
                    274 (402)

                    Bounced by Yahoo
                    44 (36)

                    Rejected
                    33 (33)

                    Posted to list
                    197 (333)

                    Number of individuals posting
                    74 (92)

                    Top posters (double figures)

                    Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
                    Jim West 14 (30)
                    Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

                    As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
                    May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                    Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
                    be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
                    vacations and spend less time at their computers

                    On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
                    of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
                    members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
                    when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
                    registered under.

                    I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
[...]

                    One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
                    extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
                    with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
                    order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
                    without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
                    link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
                    banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
                    behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
                    turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
                    Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
                    page.

                    Bob Whiting
                    for the moderators
                  • Robert M Whiting
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
                      According to the logs, July generated the following
                      message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

                      Total submissions to list
                      447 (274)

                      Bounced by Yahoo
                      56 (44)

                      Rejected
                      34 (33)

                      Posted to list
                      357 (197)

                      Number of individuals posting
                      78 (74)

                      Top posters (double figures)

                      Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
                      Jim West 19 (14)
                      David Q. Hall 18 (5)
                      Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
                      Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
                      Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
                      Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
                      Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
                      Frank Polak 10 (1)
                      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

                      As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
                      June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

                      Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
                      year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
                      month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

                      On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
                      monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
                      it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
                      number of the address lists that spammers use.

                      While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
                      where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
                      the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
                      removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
                      the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
                      extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
                      leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
                      will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
                      given previously:

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                        According to the logs, August generated the following
                        message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                        Total submissions to list
                        205 (447)

                        Bounced by Yahoo
                        42 (56)

                        Rejected
                        9 (34)

                        Posted to list
                        154 (357)

                        Number of individuals posting
                        62 (78)

                        Top posters (double figures)

                        Jim West 18 (19)

                        As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                        July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                        The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                        August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                        On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                        bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                        messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                        wrong address.

                        Bob Whiting
                        for the moderators
                      • Robert M Whiting
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                          According to the logs, September generated the following
                          message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                          Total submissions to list
                          342 (205)

                          Bounced by Yahoo
                          37 (42)

                          Rejected
                          22 (9)

                          Posted to list
                          283 (154)

                          Number of individuals posting
                          77 (62)

                          Top posters (double figures)

                          Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                          Jim West 15 (18)
                          Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                          Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                          As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                          August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                          Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                          year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                          the summer and the new academic year begins.

                          Bob Whiting
                          for the moderators
                        • Christopher Conlan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                            Bob,

                            Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                            Chris Conlan

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                              On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                              > Bob,
                              >
                              > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                              Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                              have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                              approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                              when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                              has the header:

                              21:01:52 -0000

                              Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                              listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                              posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                              members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                              A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                              the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                              Bob Whiting
                              whiting@...