Mesha Stele

  • William D. Tallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      Line 17 of the Mesha Stele contains the words 'vessels of Yahveh'. Were
      the Moabites told by the Israelites themselves that the vessels were
      those of Yahveh, or were they given to understand that they were by/from
      other sources? Or does anyone know?

      I'm trying to see what solid information places Yahveh in Israel in or
      prior to circa 850 BCE.

      Is there anything authoritative on this that might be accessible via the
      web? I have no access to scholarly literature (and not the training to
      understand most of it, I presume).

      Thanks for your time and attention,

      Bill Tallman
    • Lisbeth S. Fried
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
        Dear Bill,

        I assume that there was a temple to YHWH that was destroyed and the objects
        in it confiscated and brought to Kemosh. This is the usual practice in
        antiquity, wars involved attacking the shrines of the enemy's gods and
        removing the gods and the cultic objects. What is interesting here is that
        no other cultic object is mentioned, thus even in the 9th century YHWH was
        aniconic. Mesha could only remove the vessels. We see this also in the
        reliefs of Lachish at Nineveh. Assyrian soldiers are shown removing incense
        altars from Lachish. Again, there is no statue of the god, so that these
        large incense altars must suffice to represent YHWH's location. I recall
        from the Mesha inscription the term "fire altars" perhaps from Lemaire's
        translation (I don't have it in front of me now.) These "fire altars" may be
        the same objects that are shown being removed from the sanctuary at Lachish.

        In any case, vessels of YHWH would be vessels used in the cult of YHWH.
        Evidently the tribe of Gad had built a shrine to YHWH in their territory.
        Such a shrine in Transjordan is referred to in Joshua 22:10.

        All the best,

        Liz Fried

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...> wrote:

          These "fire altars" may be
          > the same objects that are shown being removed from the sanctuary at
          Lachish.

          > Liz Fried

          "fire-hearth" is used in this translation:

          http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/mesha.html

          Lars Wilson
        • William D. Tallman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
            On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:45:21AM -0500, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
            > Dear Bill,
            >
            > I assume that there was a temple to YHWH that was destroyed and the objects
            > in it confiscated and brought to Kemosh. This is the usual practice in
            <snip>

            Thanks for this response!

            Best,

            Bill Tallman