more on Garbini's new book

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      I pass this along in hopes that it will generate further interest in
      Garbini's latest book-

      Someone asked about the relationship of this book with Storia e
      problemi dell'epigrafia semitica. That little book was just a brief
      history of the studies, which was partly reused (but radically
      modified and obvioulsly updated) in chapters 1 and 2. The most
      innovative thing of the new "Introduzione" is, in my opinion, the way
      in which inscriptions are presented. Instead of the traditional
      chapters based on the language (Phoenician Inscriptions, Aramean
      Inscriptions and so on), the epigraphic material is presente
      indipendenti...) with a historical introduction before each chapter.

      Best regards,

      Chiara Peri
      <<<<<<< End Quote

      Jim West

    • B.E.Colless
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
        > From: Jim West <jwest@...>
        > Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 08:23:16 -0500
        > Subject: [ANE-2] more on Garbini's new book

        Jim,

        Glad to see you have not lost interest in this intriguing book.

        I wanted to ask you whether Garbini has considered Bronze Age inscriptions.
        Apparently he includes LBA texts.

        >(iscrizioni del Tardo Bronzo, iscrizioni degli stati indipendenti...)>

        # But what does he do with the Wadi el-Hol Semitic graffiti?
        # And other West Semitic documents from Thebes (including a copy of the
        proto-alphabet) and elsewhere in Egypt?
        # The proto-alphabetic inscriptions from Sinai and Canaan?
        # The Canaanite syllabary (major evidence from Byblos, but also from
        Megiddo, Sinai, and Egypt).

        I know that Garbini (rightly!) accepts the gold signet-ring from Megiddo as
        another example of the script found at Byblos (and I think it attests
        Mendenhall's decipherment of the syllabary, reading [my interpretation]
        "Sealed: the sceptre of Megiddo").

        Does Garbini still reject Mendenhall's work totally, as in his review of
        Mendenhall (1985), to which I responded in Abr-Nahrain 35 (1998) 28-46, "The
        Canaanite Syllabary"? The good thing about Garbini's review was that he
        tried to give reasons for his rejection, while others simply said they did
        not believe it (or, in one case, asked that it be banned and withdrawn from
        sale, being a waste of $100).

        One weakness of Garbini's stance is his insistence that there are about 100
        characters in the system, but Mendenhall had nicely matched up the graphic
        variants and reduced the number to less than 70.

        Not wanting to put you to a lot of trouble (I guess I will have to buy one
        out of my pension), the easiest question for you to answer is:

        #Does he mention me (dismissively?), or just ignore me?

        Brian Colless PhD ThD

        Massey University, NZ

        > From: Jim West <jwest@...>
        > Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 08:23:16 -0500
        > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [ANE-2] more on Garbini's new book
        >
        > I pass this along in hopes that it will generate further interest in
        > Garbini's latest book-

        > Someone asked about the relationship of this book with Storia e
        > problemi dell'epigrafia semitica. That little book was just a brief
        > history of the studies, which was partly reused (but radically
        > modified and obvioulsly updated) in chapters 1 and 2. The most
        > innovative thing of the new "Introduzione" is, in my opinion, the way
        > in which inscriptions are presented. Instead of the traditional
        > chapters based on the language (Phoenician Inscriptions, Aramean
        > Inscriptions and so on), the epigraphic material is presente
        > indipendenti...) with a historical introduction before each chapter.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Chiara Peri
        > <<<<<<< End Quote
        >

        > Jim West
        >
        > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies Resources

      • Chiara Peri
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
          I will try help Jim a little bit, since I have a copy of the book myself...

          Glad to see you have not lost interest in this intriguing book.

          *I wanted to ask you whether Garbini has considered Bronze Age inscriptions.
          Apparently he includes LBA texts.
          # But what does he do with the Wadi el-Hol Semitic graffiti?
          # And other West Semitic documents from Thebes (including a copy of the
          proto-alphabet) and elsewhere in Egypt?
          # The proto-alphabetic inscriptions from Sinai and Canaan?
          # The Canaanite syllabary (major evidence from Byblos, but also from
          Megiddo, Sinai, and Egypt).*

          The first chapter of the book, Origine dell'alfabeto, deals with some of the
          material you have mentioned. Proto-alphabetic inscriptions from Sinai and
          Canaan are in LBA chapter.

          *Does Garbini still reject Mendenhall's work totally, as in his review of
          Mendenhall (1985), to which I responded in Abr-Nahrain 35 (1998) 28-46, "The
          Canaanite Syllabary"? *

          Yes, he is still convinced that the signs are more than 70. And he disagrees
          on the dating of the inscriptions.

          #Does he mention me (dismissively?), or just ignore me?
          He mentions you. I quote from p. 64-65: "dopo altri approcci parziali, nel
          1985 รจ apparsa una monografia con la decifrazione suggerita dall'americano
          G.E. Mendenhall; questa ha trovato un unico seguace nell'australiano B.E.
          Colless."
          And again, in the bibliographic note, after quoting the article on
          Abr-Nahrain (p. 66): "dal 1993 al 1998 questo studioso ha esaminato tutta la
          documentazione 'pseudo-geroglifica' o da lui ritenuta tale in una serie di
          articoli apparsi annualmente sulla stessa rivista".

          Chiara Peri
          Roma

          Columbia
          university<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Columbia+university&w1=Near&w2=Ancient&w3=Columbia+university&c=3&s=48&.sig=XbnBiSbfNmi75cGkymEq_Q>