Re: [ANE-2] Jesus tomb ?

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007
      On 2/27/07, David Hall wrote:
      > The name Jesus was derived from the Hebrew that has been
      > pronounced a number of different ways, including Yeshua and Yahoshua.

      While Yeshua does represent somewhat the Tiberian pronunciation of c. 900
      CE -- "ye:$ua(", I am unaware that the name "Joshua" was ever pronounced
      "Yahoshua". The name Joshua was pronounced "yoho:$ua(" in Tiberian
      Hebrew. The name Jesus probably represents a vocalization as in Nehemiah
      8:17, but before the development of the furtive patah and perhaps with a short
      tsere (so, "ye$u(:"). In fact, in looking up the Septuagint, it
      appears that the
      Septuagint transliterates "Joshua" the same way, so perhaps during late
      Second Temple times, the name Joshua was pronounced and spelled as
      "ye$u:(" and the form "yoho:$ua(" is a back-formation based on the preserved
      consonantal spelling.

      > There was a cave found in the West Bank that was argued to be the cave
      > of John the Baptist.

      I believe the cave is not in the West Bank even if it is in Judea. It
      even has a
      website: http://www.baptistcave.org.il/eng/index.asp

      Yitzhak Sapir