more ANE on Google Earth

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2007
      From the Agade list

      From Olof Pedersen <Olof.Pedersen@...>:
      ===================================

      Google Earth is a free very useful tool for scholars and students
      working with the Ancient Neat East. However, it has not always been
      easy to find even the most important sites quickly.

      A preliminary set of placemarks (ANE.kml) for Google Earth of a
      selection of the most important archaeological sites in the Ancient
      Near East can now be downloaded at:
      <http://www.anst.uu.se/olofpede/ANE.kml>

      Or you may access it by going to:
      <http://www.anst.uu.se/olofpede/Links.htm>

      Until someone else comes up with a better, more permanent solution,
      the ANE placemarks may be updated, and any correction or addition
      with coordinates could be sent to Olof Pedersén.

      (as subject and in first
      line): subscribe From Olof Pedersen <Olof.Pedersen@...>:
      ===================================

      Google Earth is a free very useful tool for scholars and students
      working with the Ancient Neat East. However, it has not always been
      easy to find even the most important sites quickly.

      A preliminary set of placemarks (ANE.kml) for Google Earth of a
      selection of the most important archaeological sites in the Ancient
      Near East can now be downloaded at:
      <http://www.anst.uu.se/olofpede/ANE.kml>

      Or you may access it by going to:
      <http://www.anst.uu.se/olofpede/Links.htm>

      Until someone else comes up with a better, more permanent solution,
      the ANE placemarks may be updated, and any correction or addition
      with coordinates could be sent to Olof Pedersén.

      email to leave-14702197-4815343W@...
      --- To (re-)subscribe please send a blank email to listserv@..., and write (as subject and in
      first
      line): subscribe agade
    • Marianne Jokumsen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
        Hello everyone at ANE-2,

        I am about to write a paper on the Hittite empire. I am thinking of trying
        to give an analysis of the events that might have triggered the collapse
        of the Hittite empire and see if there is any connection with the Hittite
        empire of the second millennium BC and the Neo-Hittite city-states of the
        first millennium BC.
        If you have any comments or recommendations that would be of any interest,
        I am greatful in advance.
        Regards,

        Marianne Jokumsen
        MA-student at Copenhagen University, Carsten Niebuhr Institute
      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
          On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Marianne Jokumsen wrote:

          > Hello everyone at ANE-2,
          >
          > I am about to write a paper on the Hittite empire. I am thinking of
          > trying to give an analysis of the events that might have triggered the
          > collapse of the Hittite empire and see if there is any connection with
          > the Hittite empire of the second millennium BC and the Neo-Hittite
          > city-states of the first millennium BC.
          > If you have any comments or recommendations that would be of any
          > interest, I am greatful in advance.
          > Regards,
          >
          > Marianne Jokumsen
          > MA-student at Copenhagen University, Carsten Niebuhr Institute

          Nothing specific, but if you aren't aware of it, the Hethitologie Portal
          at Mainz <http://www.hethiter.net/> is a gateway to everything Hittite on
          the web. Don't overlook their extensive collection of links to other
          sites. There is a link to the page on the ANE-2 links page
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links> under "Gateways/Portals".

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...
        • Stern, Richard H.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
            Is there anything in the notion that major climate changes (such as big drought leading to major crop failures - like Thera theory) were a substantial factor? Or has that been discredited?

            =====================================
            Best regards.

            Richard H. Stern
            rstern@... rstern@...
            Washington, DC 20036
            http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/claw/rhs1.htm
            =====================================

            I believe the Tübinger Atlas des vorderen Orients has both a couple of maps and one or two supplementary volumes that might be of help to you.
            Thomas

            Thomas L. Thompson
            Old Testament Department
            University of Copenhagen

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
              Dear Marianne,

              In addition to the studies I mentioned the last time you asked this
              question, please note I. Singer, “New Evidence on the End of the Hittite
              Empire,” E. D. Oren (ed.), The Sea Peoples and their World: A Reassessment
              (2000): 21-33, and the earlier studies mentioned there.

              Yigal Bloch,
              Jerusalem