Him that Holdeth the Sceptre from Ashkelon

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2007
      In the March/April 2007 Archaeology magazine, Roger Atwood states that
      Harvard professor Larry Stager has been denied a digging license for
      Ashkelon by the IAA because "the project has not published enough":

      http://www.archaeology.org/0703/abstracts/insider.html

      George Michael Grena, II
      Redondo Beach, CA
    • dastacey62
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2007
        And I hope the IAA are adamant about this. I worked as a grid
        supervisor for the first five seasons at Ashkelon. Inevitably several
        of the early seasons were taken up with exploratory probes which lasted
        only one season and those areas will never be returned to. One was a
        Byzantine church rebuilt in the Crusader period, with painted frecoes.
        That was twenty years or more ago and none of those completed
        excavations have been published. The excavations were supposedly well
        endowed but little seems to have been dedicated to publication.
        Excavations must have their own programme of publication, not hope to
        rely on future PhD students to do it for them.

        David Stacey