Re: Urusalim (was Re: SV: [ANE-2] Solomon and Ur-Salimu)

  • Giuseppe Del Monte
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2006
      At 22.47 28/02/2006, Robert Whiting wrote:

      >On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      ><snip>
      > > Couyld it be as simple a matter as whether there was room on the line to
      > > write the KI?
      >
      >Unlikely since the name is not at the end of the line. The full line is
      >
      > 287:025 [a-]mur KUR URU ú-ru-$a10-lim an-n[i-]ta
      >
      >(which you should be able to see by going to the web site
      >http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/semitic/EA263-end.html).
      >
      >One of the problems with the Amarna texts is that they have never
      >been published in their entirety in copies so it is difficult to
      >tell in many instances what the tablet itself is like. Shlomo
      >collated a number of them for his publication, but apparently EA
      >287 was not among these. So it is also possible that Knudzton missed
      >it. I put this at about the same level of likelihood as the possiblity
      >that it was left out because there wasn't enough room on the line.
      ><snip>

      Photos of EA 287 (and of many other EA tablets
      from the VaM Berlin) are published in:

      http://amarna.filol.csic.es/amarna/Tablillas/

      Line 25 has a lot of space for an additional KI;
      it's not lack of space the reason for the omission.

      Best regards,
      Giuseppe Del Monte

      --------------
      Prof. Dr. Giuseppe del Monte
      Professore Ordinario di Ittitologia
      e Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
      Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
      Università di Pisa
      via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
      Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Giuseppe Del Monte wrote:

        > Photos of EA 287 (and of many other EA tablets
        > from the VaM Berlin) are published in:
        >
        > http://amarna.filol.csic.es/amarna/Tablillas/

        Thank you for pointing out this marvellous resource. I had been searching
        the net for photographs of Amarna texts, but without large-scale success.

        > Line 25 has a lot of space for an additional KI;
        > it's not lack of space the reason for the omission.

        Yes, this was always a non-starter, especially since it required a desire
        for a justified right margin. Such justification may be characteristic
        of copies of literary texts for archives or libraries or of monumental
        inscriptions, but not of everyday texts such as letters, contracts, or
        administrative texts. There are exceptions, of course, to both
        categorizations, but the Amarna texts that I have seen did not seem to
        be exceptional in this regard.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • Robert Whiting
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
          On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

          > Robert Whiting wrote:
          > >
          > > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
          >
          > > > Couyld it be as simple a matter as whether there was room on the
          > > > line to write the KI?
          > >
          > > Unlikely since the name is not at the end of the line.  The full line
          > > is
          > >
          > >   287:025  [a-]mur KUR URU ú-ru-$a10-lim an-n[i-]ta
          <undocumented snip>
          > > Akkadian cuneiform, on the other hand, was a logogram-including syllabic
          > > system (much as English is a logogram-including alphabetic system).
          > > Logograms were used quite frequently in writing Akkadian, but basically it
          > > could be written entirely syllabically.  With completely syllabic writing,
          > > determinatives are not essential because the reading of a sign group is
          > > explicit.  Hence determinatives could be, and often were, dispensed with
          > > in conjunction with syllabic writing.
          > >
          > > In the Amarna texts, as with Ur III Sumerian, the determinative KI was
          > > most often used, but not infrequently omitted when a name was written
          > > syllabically.
          >
          > The scribe did not want to break a word onto the next line, and the
          > scribe wanted a neat right margin. Thus he could have included the KI if
          > there was room for four signs, or omitted it if there wasn't.
          >
          > If there was even less space, he might even have written a-ni-ta instead
          > of an-ni-ta, since <a> is much narrower than <an>.
          >
          > You noted that the GN occurs both ways on the same tablet, so unless you
          > want to claim the use of KI is totally random, this is a reasonable
          > explanation.

          Fortunately, with the link to a photograph of the tablet by Giuseppe del
          Monte, your "reasonable explanation" (viz. "just-so story") has become
          a scientific theory (i.e., it has a test for falsification).

          The photograph of the obverse (http://amarna.filol.csic.es/amarna/Tablillas/EA%20287/EA%20287-VAT%201644%20(2).jpg),
          shows clearly that the right margin is not justified and, as NPL and
          Giuseppe del Monte have observed, there is room on the line for an
          additional KI, especially since, as NPL has again observed and the
          photograph of the right edge (http://amarna.filol.csic.es/amarna/Tablillas/EA%20287/EA%20287-VAT%201644%20(5).jpg)
          clearly shows, the scribe had no compuction about continuing the lines
          onto the right edge of the tablet.

          I don't claim that the use is random, only that when a name is written
          syllabically, determinatives are no longer essential to interpretation
          and thus more easily elided. Differences that don't make a distinction
          tend to become neutralized. When differences are important to
          interpretation and understanding they are preserved even in English
          where, when the context is unclear, we use determinatives to clarify
          whether we are talking about "the city (of) Assur" or "the god Assur."

          However, if you require a "reasonable explanation" for the missing KI,
          try this:

          The scribe was part of an espionage ring sending information
          to the Egyptian chancery and the message was conveyed by the missing
          signs in the text. The recipient had to note what signs were missing
          and then combine them correctly to interpret the message. The missing
          KI in line 26 and the missing URU in line 61 indicate that the writer
          was sending information about some city, but since portions of the
          tablet are destroyed we'll probably never be able to reconstruct the
          full message.

          Now there's something for the next ANE thriller. But the point is that
          "reasonable explanations" aren't evidence. They are what we use to
          bridge the gaps where there isn't any evidence.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...
        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
            Bob Whiting wrote:
            > However, if you require a "reasonable explanation" for the missing KI,
            > try this:
            >
            > The scribe was part of an espionage ring sending information
            > to the Egyptian chancery and the message was conveyed by the missing
            > signs in the text. The recipient had to note what signs were missing
            > and then combine them correctly to interpret the message. The missing
            > KI in line 26 and the missing URU in line 61 indicate that the writer
            > was sending information about some city, but since portions of the
            > tablet are destroyed we'll probably never be able to reconstruct the
            > full message.

            KPE writes:

            You should publish this as "The DUB.SAR Code" and become a wealthy benefactor to impoverished Assyriology departments throughout the world.

            Regards,
            Kevin P. Edgecomb
            Berkeley, California