Re: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Population of Canaan?

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
      At 01:13 AM 2/5/2007, Rod Nicholas wrote:

      >Josephus claims 600,000 to 1,300,000 were killed when the Romans ...

      The Roman period added public works - roads, aqueducts, etc. I
      suppose that increased the maximum number of people the land could
      support. It is also the time of the Nabateans which may indicate more
      rainfall in the area. But I don't know much about that period so I'll
      leave this to others.

      [later ...]

      Found this:

      http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0010/001036/103637E.pdf

      Arie S. Issar, "Impacts of climate variations on water management and
      related socio-economic systems", UNESCO 1995.

      P.24:

      "From about 2,300 to 1,700 BP a global cold period occurred. In the
      opinion of Issar (1990a) this was the early stage of a mini-glacial
      period ... The more benign climate in the desert of Judea and Edom promoted the
      flourishing of the Nabatean kingdom which was established in the
      first century B.C."

      >What of natural attrition; high infant mortality, disease
      >drought and pestilence?

      These are included in the 20th century global growth rate. The point
      is that if the Canaanite population did not grow at the rate we know
      from the 20th cad, what were the causes?

      >Logic would surely dictate the lower end of estimates for all these
      >demographics?

      [I associate "logic" with formal, strict arguments, which is not the
      case. I'd prefer something like "reason".]

      Why? The material evidence doesn't suggest stagnant societies. It
      suggests cycles of expansions followed by destructions or
      abandonments. Fluctuations.

      "I have water at 50C" is correct both for me having a glass of water
      at 50C and for me having two glasses, one with ice sludge and the
      other with boiling water. The statement is statistically correct in
      both cases, but it is misleading in the second case. I find
      statements of "population per archeological period" to be similarly misleading.

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...