24 Priestly divisions

  • Rod Nicholas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      Ref 1 Chron9:10
      Ref 1 Chron 24
      Ref A History of Jewish People Ed. H.H. Ben Sassoon

      H.H. Ben Sassoon writes [and offers no cross reference] the Zadok
      High Priests were of the family of Jedaiah, the second named
      [ 1Chron 24 ]of the Priestly divisions, after the family Jehoiarib,
      to which the Hasmonean Priests belonged.
      My understanding is that 16 of the Divisions were Eleazar and 8
      Ithamar, and 1 Chronicles does not identify which families belong to
      which order.

      Interestingly 1Chron 9:10 places Jedaiah ahead of Jehoiarib.

      The drawing of the lots in 1 Chron 24 appears random [ if it was
      not then the mathematical possibilites are numerous ]
      and indicates all would have equal responsibility.

      1Chron 24;6 also seems to imply the order of Ithamar were retaining
      the number of 'positions' already in place; "...and what was
      established for Ithamar remained established."

      Did the order of selection lead to historical division
      between the first and second named families, indeed did conflict exist
      across the board particularly in the light of the Macc. rebellion?

      Implicit also is that High Priests would have to have been drawn
      from one or all of the families of Eleazar, [though of course a
      hereditary line would have been established at some point];
      strenghtening the likelihood of endemic conflict which manifested
      more strongly when Hellenisation progressed.

      I appreciate of course there has been much conjecture about the Zadok
      line pre and post exile; whether they have common origins.

      If anyone could suggest some good reference material I would
      appreciate.

      Thank you
      Rod Nicholas
      Melbourne