Book search engines

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      Dear list,

      While book search engines are a potentially powerful tool for academic
      research, I have found recent implementations to be alarmingly inaccurate, with
      about 10% of Google online excerpts in error, and about 50% of Amazon.com.
      (For instance, my name allegedly appears in the Yale Book of Quotations; Numbers
      from Nowhere: The American Indian Population Contact Debate; The New
      International Webster's Student Dictionary, and elsewhere; while my uncle Leonard
      Gmirkin, who I could swear [like my father Vasia] worked for the State
      Department, in one excerpt is listed as "a fry cook in Vienna"!) Is this also the
      experience of others? Are there other broad online research tools with
      scholarly content that members have found particularly useful?

      Best regards,
      Russell Gmirkin

    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
        Russell,

        Perhaps you are listed where they say. Believe it or not, even unusual names such as Somsel or Gmirkin are sometimes bequeathed upon others as well. I'm fairly fortunate since the only person other than myself that I've noticed appearing on a Google search is my father who also happens to be named Sergei Samovarich (of course not -- he has the same name as I).

        george
        gfsomsel
        _________

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
          George,

          As part of my father's security vetted for the State Department, the
          government did a very thorough search for other Gmirkins still surviving in the
          former USSR who could potentially be used as leverage, given the sensitive nature
          of his work. None survived Stalin's purges - there are only about a dozen
          of us Gmirkins on the planet.

          Besides the which, I've looked up several of the books, and the references
          are clearly incorrect.

          Best,
          Russell Gmirkin

          Russell,

          Perhaps you are listed where they say. Believe it or not, even unusual names
          such as Somsel or Gmirkin are sometimes bequeathed upon others as well. I'm
          fairly fortunate since the only person other than myself that I've noticed
          appearing on a Google search is my father who also happens to be named Sergei
          Samovarich (of course not -- he has the same name as I).

          george
          gfsomsel

        • Paul Kekai Manansala
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, RUSSELLGMIRKIN@... wrote:

            > Dear list,
            >
            > While book search engines are a potentially powerful tool for academic
            > research, I have found recent implementations to be alarmingly
            inaccurate, with
            > about 10% of Google online excerpts in error, and about 50% of
            Amazon.com.
            > (

            Did you use books.google.com? What errors did you find?

            Regards,
            Paul Kekai Manansala
            Quests of the Dragon and Bird Clan
            http://sambali.blogspot.com/