Re: [ANE-2] off to the domesticated camel races

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
      schmuel wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
      > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
      > anachronism.

      Steve,

      I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
      patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
      it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
      someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously?) regard as "true" vis a vis the
      historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
      regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
      presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

      If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
      but to unsubscribe you.

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        Jeffrey,

        The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See

        http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/

        While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

        george
        gfsomsel
        _________

        > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
        > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
        > anachronism.

        Steve,

        I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
        patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
        it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
        someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously? ) regard as "true" vis a vis the
        historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
        regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
        presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

        If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
        but to unsubscribe you.

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          George F Somsel wrote:

          > Jeffrey,
          >
          > The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/
          >
          > While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

          George,

          Thanks for your message.

          However, whether or not Tobin considers himself a sceptic/skeptic is neither here nor there since Steven's use of the "title" of Tobin, even if derived from Tobin's web
          site, was absolutely unnecessary, and it isn't the first time that Steven has attempted to poison the well, using a fundie criterion for what is "true" to determine
          who deserves opprobrium.

          So I think my warning to him is appropriate.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey
          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)