Re: [ANE-2] off to the domesticated camel races

  • Peter James
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
      There seem to be a number of other examples of "early" camel domestication in Egypt. See my note on the old ANE list archived at
      https://listhost.uchicago.edu/pipermail/ane/2005-October/020211.html re an article by Ripinsky in JEA 71 (1985). Best, Peter James

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        schmuel wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
        > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
        > anachronism.

        Steve,

        I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
        patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
        it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
        someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously?) regard as "true" vis a vis the
        historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
        regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
        presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

        If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
        but to unsubscribe you.

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          Jeffrey,

          The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See

          http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/

          While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

          george
          gfsomsel
          _________

          > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
          > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
          > anachronism.

          Steve,

          I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
          patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
          it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
          someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously? ) regard as "true" vis a vis the
          historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
          regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
          presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

          If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
          but to unsubscribe you.

          Jeffrey Gibson
          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
            George F Somsel wrote:

            > Jeffrey,
            >
            > The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See
            >
            > http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/
            >
            > While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

            George,

            Thanks for your message.

            However, whether or not Tobin considers himself a sceptic/skeptic is neither here nor there since Steven's use of the "title" of Tobin, even if derived from Tobin's web
            site, was absolutely unnecessary, and it isn't the first time that Steven has attempted to poison the well, using a fundie criterion for what is "true" to determine
            who deserves opprobrium.

            So I think my warning to him is appropriate.

            Yours,

            Jeffrey
            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)