Re: Population of Canaan

  • Yigal Bloch
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      Magen Broshi's articles on the demography of ancient Canaan/Palestine (and
      on some other issues) have been collected in his volume _Bread, Wine, Walls
      and Scrolls_ (2001). Of those, perhaps the most relevant in this regard is
      "Methodology of Populaiton Estimates: The Roman-Byzantine Period as a Case
      Study." There he describes the different methods by which estimations of
      ancient populations work, and also makes a case for the maximum possible
      number of the inhabitants of Palestine (Cisjordan) under the conditions of
      pre-industrial economy being c. 1 million persons -- a number which, in his
      words, was only achieved for the first time during the Byzantine period.
      I can't recall now whether Broshi published a specific discussion of the
      Late Bronze Age Canaan demography.

      Regards,

      Yigal Bloch,
      Jerusalem