Re: SV: [ANE-2] off to the domesticated camel races

  • Doug Weller
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4 7:02 AM
      Hi Niels,

      Sunday, February 4, 2007, 8:00:56 AM, you wrote:

      > The funny thing is that the date of the domestication of the camel
      > was not proposed by some radical biblical scholar but by the old
      > rather conservative master, William Foxwell Albright. Kitchen will go
      > for everything that has just the slightest opportunity to support
      > historicity of whatever you find in the Bible.

      > A single example does not make a difference. You need more than one.

      It's not exactly convincing. It says 'could' have been a camel or buffalo. Or another reason entirely.

      I'm still interested in the story of camel bones apparently found in the Red Pyramid and the claim that other archaic camel bones were found in Ancient Egypt.

      Doug Weller

      Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.thehallofmaat.com
      Doug and Helen's Dogs: http://www.dougandhelen.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4 9:20 AM
        Dear Doug,

        I do not know why this exactly was addressed to me, as I was already expressing doubt about this case. Shouldn't it have been addressed to Stephen Avery? But the link is fine. Is there really any evidence here of anything like a very early single example of the taming of the camel. It seems that somebody in the "good" case of proving the historicity of the patriarchs have been out very early with a rather farfetched argument.

        Niels Peter Lemche

        PS: It is simply stupid as in the mail from Avery often to see Finkelstein mentioned as the bad guy. He is a brilliant scholar, but is more and more becoming the target of attacks from the very conservative parts of the Jewish and Christian community: Go after the man, forget what he is doing. And -- and that was the point of my response -- Finkelstein has really nothing to do with the late dating of the domestication of the camel. It was Albright's proposal more than fifty years ago. Albright was a far too good scholar to oversee obvious facts in the ground.

        Sunday, February 4, 2007, 8:00:56 AM, you wrote:

        > The funny thing is that the date of the domestication of the camel
        > was not proposed by some radical biblical scholar but by the old
        > rather conservative master, William Foxwell Albright. Kitchen will go
        > for everything that has just the slightest opportunity to support
        > historicity of whatever you find in the Bible.

        > A single example does not make a difference. You need more than one.

        It's not exactly convincing. It says 'could' have been a camel or buffalo. Or another reason entirely.

        I'm still interested in the story of camel bones apparently found in the Red Pyramid and the claim that other archaic camel bones were found in Ancient Egypt.

        Doug Weller

      • Peter James
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4 9:42 AM
          There seem to be a number of other examples of "early" camel domestication in Egypt. See my note on the old ANE list archived at
          https://listhost.uchicago.edu/pipermail/ane/2005-October/020211.html re an article by Ripinsky in JEA 71 (1985). Best, Peter James

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4 10:42 AM
            schmuel wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
            > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
            > anachronism.

            Steve,

            I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
            patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
            it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
            someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously?) regard as "true" vis a vis the
            historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
            regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
            presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

            If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
            but to unsubscribe you.

            Jeffrey Gibson
            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4 11:02 AM
              Jeffrey,

              The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See

              http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/

              While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

              george
              gfsomsel
              _________

              > We know the issue of domesticated camels (or the supposed non-existence thereof)
              > is used by Finkelstein and others (eg. skeptic Paul Tobin) to attempt to claim Bible
              > anachronism.

              Steve,

              I am going to ask you as a moderator of ANE-2 to cease labeling with such dogmatic,
              patronizing, and question begging terms of opprobrium as you use above, especially when
              it is clear (a) that your sole reason for calling someone a "skeptic" is that that
              someone does not accept as "true" what you (idolatrously? ) regard as "true" vis a vis the
              historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures, and (b) that your idea of what is "true" in this
              regard is grounded in and arises from dogmatic apriorii and fundamentalist
              presuppositions about biblical inerrancy.

              If you persist in this "poisoning of the well" tactic, the moderators will have no choice
              but to unsubscribe you.

              Jeffrey Gibson
              --
              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Chicago, Illinois
              e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

            • Jeffrey B. Gibson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4 11:23 AM
                George F Somsel wrote:

                > Jeffrey,
                >
                > The fact is that Paul Tobin even considers himself to be a sceptic (I had to look him up). See
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/
                >
                > While I don't generally agree with Steven, he really wasn't out of line here since "sceptic" (or "skeptic" if you choose to use his spelling) is a self-description.

                George,

                Thanks for your message.

                However, whether or not Tobin considers himself a sceptic/skeptic is neither here nor there since Steven's use of the "title" of Tobin, even if derived from Tobin's web
                site, was absolutely unnecessary, and it isn't the first time that Steven has attempted to poison the well, using a fundie criterion for what is "true" to determine
                who deserves opprobrium.

                So I think my warning to him is appropriate.

                Yours,

                Jeffrey
                --
                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)